Help w/ Roosters Fighting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DobieMom, Jan 28, 2010.

1. DobieMom

DobieMom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2009
    I have 2 roosters approx. 4 months apart in age (both under 1 year old). The older (Maurice) is a Wheaton Americauna and the younger (JuneBug - just starting to crow) is a Golden Lace Red Wyandotte. Maurice is loving the ladies a lot right now and fighting w/ JuneBug. I know this is normal behavior for the boys but, was wondering if it will mellow out in a while. We have 15 ladies to choose from so, it is not slim-pickens for the guys. They have a very large run (big enough for 3 horses to live comfortably) and a big hay barn converted into their coop. I know there is a chance Maurice will not want to share his ladies but was hoping maybe they's work it out. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    pecking order, they should work t out! I have 2 roos in with mine and at first it was, on like donkey kong! They stopped but just watch them for bloody fights!! I would jump in if it gets really bad.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree. No blood, let them work it out. The alpha will keep being an alpha and the other one will learn to get slick.

4. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    I have 2 roos together, they are actually brothers and I haven't seen them fight, But you definitely know which one is in charge!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by