1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Help w/ sudden swelling on top of head- PICS!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sevenup, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Sevenup

Sevenup In the Brooder

Jan 20, 2010
    We have about 25 brown leghorn 5wk old pullets. This is a new thing today, its not growing but it wasn't there yesterday.
    I can't say its acting different, as they all seem to have their own personalities but it kind of does seem to just be standing there more than running with the others.
    When touched, it is not feathers, it is soft and squishy (We barely touched it)
    We are thinking its too uniform to be a sting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Poor thing, I would think it would be some type of bite, i have a Silkie with somewhat similar swelling, but more to the side of the head. You can dilute 5 baby aspirin to a gallon of water and give her some for pain, perhaps a cold compress to help the swelling?

3. Sevenup

Sevenup In the Brooder

Jan 20, 2010
    Its still the same, no change. [​IMG]

4. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Songster

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Huh, interesting. You can see that its a swelling as the eye area is being pulled upwards. Is she eating, drinking and acting normally?
    My first thought is allergic reaction from a sting or bug bite as chickenzoo already mentioned. The other is an infection. [​IMG]

5. tinabrat1

tinabrat1 In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    that is strange, it almost looks like a vaulted skull like in silkies or polish but I know its not as that would be from birth! anyone else picking on her?

6. Sevenup

Sevenup In the Brooder

Jan 20, 2010
    Nobody is picking on it, everything is the same as yesterday- its kind of standing around more than the others but nothing majorly abnormal.

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    Ohhh, I'd love to radiograph that head and see what was going on.

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Is it hot to the touch? If so perhaps put her on some antibiotic to see if it improves. I know when I get bit by a horse fly I swell pretty bad, I could only imagine a poor chicken..... [​IMG]

9. Sevenup

Sevenup In the Brooder

Jan 20, 2010
    It isn't warm to touch, my husband thinks it has gone down a bit, I'm not so sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by