Help w/ sudden swelling on top of head- PICS!

Sevenup

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 20, 2010
We have about 25 brown leghorn 5wk old pullets. This is a new thing today, its not growing but it wasn't there yesterday.
I can't say its acting different, as they all seem to have their own personalities but it kind of does seem to just be standing there more than running with the others.
When touched, it is not feathers, it is soft and squishy (We barely touched it)
We are thinking its too uniform to be a sting.

2010-06-05183840.jpg

2010-06-05183833.jpg

Last edited:
Poor thing, I would think it would be some type of bite, i have a Silkie with somewhat similar swelling, but more to the side of the head. You can dilute 5 baby aspirin to a gallon of water and give her some for pain, perhaps a cold compress to help the swelling?

Huh, interesting. You can see that its a swelling as the eye area is being pulled upwards. Is she eating, drinking and acting normally?
My first thought is allergic reaction from a sting or bug bite as chickenzoo already mentioned. The other is an infection.
hmm.png

that is strange, it almost looks like a vaulted skull like in silkies or polish but I know its not as that would be from birth! anyone else picking on her?

Nobody is picking on it, everything is the same as yesterday- its kind of standing around more than the others but nothing majorly abnormal.

Ohhh, I'd love to radiograph that head and see what was going on.

It isn't warm to touch, my husband thinks it has gone down a bit, I'm not so sure.

Back
Top Bottom