HELP! Waddling hen, but can't find problem!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BirdIsTheWurd, Aug 16, 2013.

1. BirdIsTheWurd

BirdIsTheWurd Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Need emergency advice! I have a 15 month old Golden Comet acting very strangely. She just starting the symptoms today and I am leaving for vacation tomorrow! Plus, she is my favorite hen, so I'm a bit upset. Here's the situation:

She has been a faithful layer (lays every morning almost without exception since the day she started) and second in pecking order. Always active and quite assertive and independent.

This afternoon I let the flock out to free range in the yard and she waddled out like a penguin, then promptly sat down in the middle of the lawn and seemed to have no balance even doing that. She ate from her sitting position.

This alarmed me so I checked her as thoroughly as I knew how. No oozing, no foot or leg problems. No swelling anywhere. One thing I did notice is that her tail is way up in the air and her vent is spasming.

She did pant for a few minutes, but then stopped. She continues to eat and drink. In fact, she seems quite hungry and thirsty. Poop looks fine as far as I can tell. She's lost some feathers.

I am 90% sure she laid an egg this morning. The eggs have been perfectly fine.

Is there anything I can do?????

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Waddling can be a symptom of internal laying, not just being egg bound. You can insert a finger into the vent gently (rubber glove and lubricant are good) to feel for a stuck egg. A warm bath sometimes soothes them into laying a stuck egg.

3. BirdIsTheWurd

Apr 9, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Thanks so much, I will try that!

4. BirdIsTheWurd

Apr 9, 2012
    Massachusetts
    I felt into the vent for a stuck egg and found nothing. She agreed to the warm bath for about 10 minutes, then I dried her and put her in a dog crate in the house for the night. This morning her condition hasn't changed. My dear Greta is eating and pooping just fine though.

I have to leave today and don't know what else I can do! My elderly neighbor let tends to my flock when I'm gone but I don't think he'd be willing to take Greta into his home.

Time to pray?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by