1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP ! Want a medium size dog to protect my birds

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by pascopol, Feb 7, 2009.

1. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    A dog breed up to 50 lb killing all predators (coons, possums and whatever they can catch but friendly or not harming domestic birds.

Due to recent increase of population of predators of all kind, and mainly because of Government and environazis supported legislation, I need a dog which will kill all kind of predators of my birds. (If I kill predators I may go to jail, that's why I need my dog to do it for me).

Any suggestions for a suitable breed?

Now, I know that an individual dog predisposition may overcome a breed virtue, but the fact is you do not want a greyhound, or any bird hunting dog breed to "protect" your birds. LOL

2. burley

burley Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    Oriential North Carolina
    I think a female Marmea would be about the smalest of the commonly available lgd's. They are super at their jobs and great with your family. There is a person who post here , Bear foot farm I think He breeds them and can back up their virtues. If you get a pup it will take a couple of years before any lgd will mature and work but they will settle out and you will wonder how you ever lived without them.

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    we got these 3 stooges...

[​IMG]

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    A Maremma could do what you want, but even my smallest female is around 100 lbs.

[​IMG]

5. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Is the dog eating the baby goat? Or licking it like momma goat?

6. burley

burley Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    Oriential North Carolina
    sorry I thought they were smaller:/

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote:LOL She's just smelling it

8. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Heelers are notorious for clearing out invaders. I bet Buster can tell you stories. Heelers do not like intruders in their territory. They are smart dogs and easily trained.

check out your local shelters or rescues on www.petfinder.com you might find your new family member there. You can also meet the dogs and they should be able to tell you about each dogs personality. The adoption fees cover spay/neuter & UTD on vaccinations. Adoption fees also vary from shelter to shelter.

9. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    My Aussie does a great job for me. I dont have any trouble with predators now. I also have had great luck with heelers too. [​IMG]

10. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    I had a Collie/Shepard mix! Awsome breed she was with kids & birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by