HELP WANTED! I really need Chicken Tractor ideas...

MsChickenMomma

Crowing
10 Years
Dec 2, 2012
Michigan
I currently have 15 chickens, who all share a coop. I had a hen hatch out some chicks this past summer, and I decided to keep one of the roosters because I had grown very attached to him. The problem is that I already had a rooster, and he is as sweet as can be. Just not to my new rooster. They don't fight with each other, because my new rooster just runs away. Because it hasn't gone very well, I have been letting my new rooster live in the front of my tiny barn with my cats. I love both of my roosters to death, and re-homing one isn't really an option for me. (too attached to them)

I ordered 10 pullets that will be here in May, and I have been considering making a Chicken Tractor so my new rooster can have his own flock. I really want a decent sized chicken tractor that I can hold 12 chickens in, and still be able to move it around so they get plenty of bugs and grass. My current flock free ranges, and they love it. So I would really love a chicken tractor that has an open bottomed run so they can pick through grass. That way I still get fresh good tasting eggs, and the flock in the chicken tractor will be just as happy as my flock that free ranges.

I have tried everything from keeping the two roosters shut in the coop with the hens for a few days, to putting my new rooster in an area where they can see each other, but can't get to each other, and nothing is working. My older rooster Randy just refuses to share his lady's with another rooster.

Does anyone have some pictures of your chicken tractors to give me some ideas? I really want one with a nice coop, and an open bottomed run so they have access to bugs and grass. Is it possible to build one like that? If not I may have to consider building them a coop with a nice sized run. The only thing I don't like about Plan B, is that they won't have access to fresh grass...
hmm.png
So is it possible to build a chicken tractor big enough for 12 chickens, that I can still move around? (Maybe build it with handles on one end, and wheels on the other?) I have never had this problem before, and have never had to build a chicken tractor.

Thanks for the help guys!

P.S. I plan on started the chicken tractor in June when my new hens don't need to be in the brooder anymore. When they are 4 months old I will put my rooster into the chicken tractor with them.

There is a section that has tons of coops and tractors posted to browse through. I personally have a chicken tractor and I made a seperate "run tractor" that I can use hooked to my chicken tractor or use seperatly around the yard if I choose. Of course if I use it seperatly I have to push it back to the coop to get the chickens into the tractor for night hours. So I have found myself free ranging them alot and not moving my tractor around.
Thought of something that might work out. my sisiter had 2 seperate flocks and she was able to range them and they pretty much stayed in their own flock with their own rooster. Dont know if that would happen for you....but it sure would make things easier for you.

It would be easier, but it's also not an option. My roosters can't stand each other, and my fear is that if they all free range together, it will cause fights. Also I have 8 hens who weren't raised well, so they peck at any new comers like crazy. That's why I would really like to have a chicken tractor for my rooster so he can have his own flock, and both of my roosters won't have to worry about the other.

How about mine?
That is so cute! The only thing is is that I won't be able to use that idea. I won't be able to free range my young rooster and his flock, because my other rooster and his flock all ready free range. So I need one that I will be able to have on the ground for access to grass. Wait! I just came up with something as I was writing this. I may be able to do something like you did, and build a yard that I can move around. So it would basically be a two piece chicken tractor.

Does anyone else have some pictures they can share with me? Even if they aren't a move-able chicken tractor, i'd love to see some pictures for ideas!

That is what mine is a 2 piece tractor design. I will try and get some pics up in the next hour or so. I would not suggest building the coop part of mine if you are the only one moving it...It is pretty heavy. My husband and I both have to work together to get it moved. However I like my chickens up off the ground and in-cased in wood and hardware cloth at night. Of course it requires letting them out in the AM and closing them up at night. No big deal for me unless I am out of town. If I had it to do over again I would have made the coop lighter and built it so I could move the ranging pen to different sides and hook it to the coop for fresh grass. Maybe a square coop with a pop door on each side for a total of 4 doors and plan to move the range pen every 2 or 3 days. Then move the whole unit once a month or so.

That sounds like it would be a good idea! I would most likely always be the only one moving it around the yard. I have been researching, and I might build a permenant coop and have both of my flocks free range at seperate times. I'm still debating on wether or not to do that, or just do a chicken tractor.

Back
Top Bottom