Help wanted please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Becca0, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Becca0

Becca0 New Egg

Jun 19, 2013
    Just wondered whats the youngest chicks will be okay to be housed outside without needing extra heating etc?

2. Cluky

Cluky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    is there a hen involved? if hen then any time if no hen then when they are fully feathered

3. Becca0

Becca0 New Egg

Jun 19, 2013
    No hen involved. I did think that would be the case .. Also breeds in mind are modern game bantams and/or silkies

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    In most cases, chicks are fully feathered, and therefore able to be without heat, at 6-8 weeks of age. If the temperatures are bitterly cold (below 25 degrees or so), then they should still have heat, but otherwise, they'll be fine. However, some breeds (like the Silkie) have less insulating feathering, and should be kept heated longer.

5. ChocoClover

ChocoClover Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2013
    The Country
    I always wait until chickens have grown in almost all of their feathers and are about 3 pounds (I don't have a really accurate assumption of the weight that I took the light off by, so go more by the feathers). Also, watch them to see if they want the heat or not. If the nights are cold, I would recommend keeping the light a little long than you think you should.

6. zaksmom

zaksmom New Egg

Oct 9, 2013
    New Zealand
    its nearly summer here where i am

I put 5 week old barred rocks outside during the day and then bring them inside at night as it can get kind of chilly

7. Becca0

Becca0 New Egg

Jun 19, 2013
    Thanks for all your help :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by