HELP WANTED Power Failure During Hatch- What To Do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ranchhand, Mar 31, 2009.

1. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I have to hurry, before the power goes off again!

Iam on Day 20, but have 1 hatched, 5 pipped and 15 are not doing anything yet. The power is blipping on and off.

If it goes off for any amount of time longer than a few minutes, I'm in trouble. I THINK I read here somewhere to prop the top open for air circulation and use jars of hot water for warmth.

Is that correct, and are there better ways to approach this possible issue?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! [​IMG]

2. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Oh no!!! HELPPP!!!!! Please!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

3. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Don't panic Gramma, I remembered we have a monstrous generator- it is a huge hassle, but if need be I can haul it out and get the 'bator and the computer going again. Oh wait, won't help with the internet, though! [​IMG]

4. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Shewww, I was worried!!!

5. Goshen

Goshen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2009
    Hollywood, SC
    Hey, How did the hatch go? What's the turnout?

Sorry to hear you had power problems on the last day. I think there are third world countries that have less power outages than we do in Hollywood.

Goshen

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Do you have a hot water bottle? That would work

Heating pad? That would work too but keep a very close eye on the heat because sometime it can be too hot for them. A towel wrapped the pad will help some.

Gas water heater? Lay some towel on the surface and lay the eggs on top of the heater but not in the chimney part. Lay another towel on it. You would have to be very careful that one chick does not fall off the gas water heater......the tank ones. The tankless, forget it!

If all else fails, stuff them in your bras! [​IMG]

7. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    LOL i was just gonna suggest the stuffing them in her bra idea... its the latest craze [​IMG]

8. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
  9. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:I CAN'T!!! I burned them all in the sixties! [​IMG]

I don't have a hot water bottle right now, but I will be keeping an eye out for one. I was thinking Mason jars, full of hot/warm water, wrapped in small towels. Thankfully, I didn't need them, though they were ready to go!

Sadly, the water heater is electric- the only gas appliance is the stove, so I could at least heat water! Dragging out the beast of a generator was LAST on my list!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by