help wanted

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by zoerat, Oct 19, 2013.

1. zoerat

zoerat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    so my wee duckling was born this morning about 2 hrs ago I had to help it out of the shell tho and still hadn't obsorbed all its yolk, its seems strong tho and is drying out in the incubator, what I want to know is it has bits of membrane stuck to it drying out should I leave the duckling or should I rince it in warm water and then hairdry it (that's what I do to the chickens) any suggestions would be good, or should I just leave it to rest for awhile?

2. zoerat

Apr 19, 2010
    ive decided to just leave it its walking around ok ill just leave it to dry out

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    After all the yolk is absorbed you can put it into a small amount of warm and let it wash itself, just up to top of it's leg. and stay right with it. then blot dry and place back under heat lamp.

Congrats on your new ducklings, anymore hatching?

4. zoerat

Apr 19, 2010
    the rest were dead in the shells I think my incubator was faulty its the first time ive used this one, but im going for round 2 shortly, quite funny ive had to put the duck in with a docile baby chick same age, I had it in with 2 others but they were really mean to it, now there all sleeping happily

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    We really do need to see pics of this you know. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. zoerat

Apr 19, 2010
    sad news the brooder bulb blew in the night and I woke up to a dead duckling im so gutted right now....am going to put some more eggs down in a week, obviously just wasn't ment to be for the wee gal
    [​IMG]

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    That's very sad and such bad luck. Maybe a product like Eco-glow or Sweeter-heater might be better for brooding. They cost more, but if you plan on hatching birds often, it might be worth the investment. They work with radiant heat instead of using a bulb. Plus the ducklings can hide under it like they would hide under their mama.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm so sorry to hear about your lil duckling.. [​IMG]
    Great idea dd.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by