help wanting to feed FF but not sure where to get the "mother"

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dani4Hedgies, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Dani4Hedgies

Dani4Hedgies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2015
    Merriam, KS
    I would like to feed FF I have medicated Chick Starter Crumbles , Layer Crumbles and All flock raiser but I am confused on where to "buy" or how to make a "mother" for it and if I can use the medicated chick starter or if it must be unmediated? Help please??

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Sorry but I do not understand FF ( can only think FREE FLIGHT) And what mother are you trying to make??? [​IMG]
    I'm Old School and do not understand some of this newer lingo.

3. Dani4Hedgies

Oct 18, 2015
    Merriam, KS
    FF= Fermented Feed and the "Mother" is what you add to start it fermenting

4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Oh Ok.. Just wasn't putting the mother together. I would refer to it as culture, like when making yogurt or cheese. I do not ferment feed but have read that peeps just use their crumbles and add water. After 2 or 3 days it is ready. Then you use half of it and add some more to your batch. You probably should not use the medicated feed to start. The medicated feed is probably Ok to add after it is going, since the medication is not an antibiotic. I forgot what the medication is since I never considered using medicated feed. That does not mean that I consider it to be BAD.
    WISHING YOU BEST [​IMG]

5. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, that's what I call the "starter" method (like sourdough starter). Some people add ACV to get the ferment started, but it's not necessary. Just add dechlorinated water to the feed and stir - it should be pretty soupy. After 2-3 days, it should smell ferment-y and there should be bubbles coming to the surface. You can use a slotted spoon to scoop out the feed and leave some of the liquid (and feed is ok) in there to start the next batch. Medicated chick starter contains amprolium, a coccidiostat, and since it's not an antibiotic - it inhibits thiamine (vitamin B1) uptake in the coccidia protozoa - my guess is that it would ferment fine but I'm not sure whether the fermentation process itself would affect the efficacy of the amprolium.

There are many methods employed to ferment feed, some are described in this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/715995/fermenting-feed-for-layers.

1 person likes this.
  6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Dani, I started using FF about 4 years ago, and never looked back! My flock shows all signs of having the nutritional edge over birds of my friends who have birds of the same age and from the same source and being fed feed from the same feed stores. (they lay sooner, longer, and more, their feathers are super glossy) You can use what ever feed you are currently using to make your fermented feed. You don't need a "mother" nor do you need to use any unpasteurized ACV to get it started. There are plenty yeasts and microbes floating around in the air to do a good job getting your culture started, if you leave it uncovered so it can get "seeded". As far as using medicated feed, I'm sure it can be done. But, since I've never used medicated feed, I can't answer your question re: how the Amprolium in the feed affects the ferment. IMO, if you're using medicated feed, better to ferment it than not to. Perhaps this article, or even the person who wrote it can answer that specific question. Wishing you the best, and a happy ferment!!!

https://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

1 person likes this.
  7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Yes, you don't need a "mother" to start FF, but it does make it go off quicker. To improve fermentation, keep your buckets in a warm place.

I also have been feeding FF for going on five years. The results are stunning, to say the least. I have seven-year old Wyandottes still laying, an eight-year old Brahma still enjoying life as the matriarch of her flock, and a very healthy and happy flock overall. There is zero waste, low feed bill, and no scattered waste to attract rodents and predators.

8. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

One other lesson learned I wanted to share: if you notice a layer of whitish, almost fuzzy-looking, film on top, don't toss the lot out...it's probably kahm yeast, not mold, and kahm yeast is harmless - it's one of those yeasts floating around that @lazy gardener mentioned. I dumped several batches of FF before I identified the filmy stuff as kahm yeast. More info/pics here: http://blog.culturesforhealth.com/keep-calm-its-only-kahm-yeast/. Happy fermenting!

9. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    I am fermenting with medicated chick starter right now and it is not seeming to have an effect on the fermentation. I don't usually use medicated because I haven't found it necessary since I started using FF, but it was freshly milled and 40% off compared to the non-medicated. Yay cost savings! Fermentng it will decrease the concentration of amprolium in the feed, but as they drink less with a wet feed it probably balances itself out inside that actual animal.

10. Dani4Hedgies

Oct 18, 2015
    Merriam, KS
    Good freedom now thank you so much that article answered all my questions

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by