Help! Was sold wrong food? (Newbie)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mom3lovebugs, May 29, 2016.

1. mom3lovebugs

mom3lovebugs New Egg

Apr 2, 2016
    Hi everyone,

I just got 8 laying hens (mix of 1 and 2 year olds) late last week. The breeder I bought them from suggested I feed them 17% laying ration mixed with barley (she had this in abundance on her farm) and hen scratch. I just looked and the feed store sent me home with 36% laying ration. It's a 4 hour drive back so I'm curious if it's ok to use cut with barley? I bought 2 bags of laying ration, 2 bags of barley and 2 bags of hen scratch. I just read the hen scratch should be only a treat tho?

Any advice? I live in a very remote location so im hoping I can make due with what I have until my parents go out of town in 2 weeks.

I've only been getting 2 eggs a day but thinking it takes time for them to adjust to their new home.

Thanks!

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    36% never heard of a laying ration that high.. sure it isn't some meatbird ration?..
    That being said I don't think it will hurt them.. add your barley.. that will cut protein down..

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    You're fine. If you mix the 3 together in equal amounts, you will end up with about an 18% feed. You are correct in giving them time to settle in before expecting normal egg production.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Be sure to give them extra calcium. You can give them egg shells. That will help some, until you can rectify the situation. Long term, I would think that 36% protein is too high. You might want to return the second bag.

5. mom3lovebugs

mom3lovebugs New Egg

Apr 2, 2016
    Thank you everyone! I appreciate the feedback. :)

6. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    I've never seen 36% before. .. are you sure they didn't sell you a concentrate? What's the bag read..
    Some people buy a concentrate to mix there own feed... if so. Then you need to mix other grain per directions. .
    May contain too much calcium now if fed at 1/3 mix..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by