Help! Water, algae, and Florida heat!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MaryZoe, Apr 22, 2019.

1. MaryZoe

MaryZoe Songster

Jun 26, 2016
    Naples, FL
    I'm wondering what the rest of you do to try to control the algae population in your waterers. It's bad down here in south Florida. Any microbiologists out there? What the heck is the algae in all my waterers? I have given up on any sort of watering system that stores water for more than a day. I dump and refill all my waterers every day (sometimes both morning and night) and I STILL have to brush them out once a week (at least) or they get covered in black slime. Is this the toxic blue-green algae that everyone is talking about now (as a neuro-toxin that may be related to diseases like ALS and Alzheimer's)? If it is, kiss my sorry butt good-bye. I get algae-water splashed in my eyes and/or mouth once or twice a week. How do our birds survive drinking this algae-infested water? I am hoping that some biologist will tell me that our algae is not toxic.... Any takers?

The Phantom likes this.
  2. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    I use 3 ml of bleach per a gallon of water in my waterers. They stay perfectly clean

sylviethecochin likes this.
  3. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    It's pretty unlikely to be toxic. You can put some ACV or a few drops of clorox in your waterer to retard growth.

The Phantom likes this.
  4. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    The Phantom likes this.
  5. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    Any pics?
    Algae is basically simple plants. Most kinds are harmless and even edible. Unless it's one of the toxic kinds, it won't hurt your hens to drink algae.

The Phantom likes this.
  6. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    It would be helpful to see a sample of the algae under a microscope. I'd recommend putting something over the waterers, to prevent light from reaching the algae, which should stop it from growing.

sylviethecochin and The Phantom like this.
  7. MaryZoe

MaryZoe Songster

Jun 26, 2016
    Naples, FL
    Interesting you suggest ACV--in my experience, that seems to increase the speed at which the waterers get slimy. Maybe I'll try again.

Bleach? Anyone else do that? I know we have similar additions to our drinking water, but it makes me nervous to add bleach to my chickens' water.

The Phantom likes this.
  8. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    I use 3ml bleach per a gallon in all my birds water

MaryZoe likes this.
  9. MaryZoe

MaryZoe Songster

Jun 26, 2016
    Naples, FL
    Here are some pics. One of the base of the watered (you can see where it’s hard to clean), and one close-up of a spot I’ve apparently missed for a couple of weeks.

Attached Files:

The Phantom likes this.
  10. MaryZoe

MaryZoe Songster

Jun 26, 2016
    Naples, FL
    I might try that. So much for organic chickens!

The Phantom likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: