Help we are loosing chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fourbellesabeau, Aug 18, 2014.

1. fourbellesabeau

fourbellesabeau Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2014
    south Georgia
    Pretty sure we have lost two chickens to cocci. Bloody stools and lethargic before they died. It was very fast. One evening they were sick and the next day they died. I went to our local farming store and bought Di-Methox and Oxytetracycline HCL at the direction of our local vet. He did admit however that he was not well versed in chickens. I want some opinions on these medications. Also we have two Nigerian Dwarf goats that live in a pen next to our chicken pen and they had cocci a few weeks ago. We treated them and they have been fine since. Could our chickens have caught the cocci from the goats?

2. The could have, but did you get the goats before or after you get the chickens.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    For Coccidiosis in chickens, you want to get Corid (amprolium). You should be able to find some in the cattle or livestock section of your feed store. There is a powder and a liquid; either work well. For the powder, mix 1.5 teaspoons into one gallon of water. For the liquid, mix two teaspoons into one gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days. You should notice improvement in three days.

4. fourbellesabeau

Aug 18, 2014
    south Georgia
    We got the chickens first. They will be a year old next month.

5. fourbellesabeau

Aug 18, 2014
    south Georgia
    Ok, thanks! So just stop the other medicine and just use the Corid instead? Sorry but loosing these two chickens has torn my nerves all to pieces. My kids are going to be very upset!

6. fourbellesabeau

Aug 18, 2014
    south Georgia
    Oh and one other question. Should I be giving them something to prevent this? They have been on the medicated feed. We keep the coop as clean as we can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by