1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help... we can't figure out what this beauty is...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Motorcyclemama, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Motorcyclemama

Motorcyclemama Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2013
    My kids were given these as chicks in the spring. Once big enough they have been brought home. I know we have the Red and a Plymouth Rock, plus the duck, but can't figure out what this beauty is. He/She likes is an escape artist, tends to fly and often is found roosting in a low hanging limb. We are letting them free range in our yard/pasture, no problems with the other animals in the yard and seems do and go whatever and wherever it wants. And since I heard what sounded like a rooster crow this morning, I am not even sure what its gender is... Can anyone help? I have been searching all the info and have ideas, but need some help confirming. Thank you
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Looks like you have an Easter Egger cockerel. Easter Eggers are mixes with Ameraucana / Araucana in their backgrounds to produce green/blue egg layers by the hatcheries..

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Easter egger cockerel. Good news is, you other birds are hens!

4. Motorcyclemama

Oct 2, 2013
    So does that mean it is or isn't a rooster? I have to tell you how confused I was to hear crowing this morning, since our rooster had what appeared to be a stroke and died the other day. Our son, who wants be responsible for raising the chickens and turn it into his FFA project in a few years, burried it.

5. Motorcyclemama

Oct 2, 2013
    Ok, I feel stupid, I just realized that cockerel probably means rooster. I just showed that I'm new didn't I??

6. Kelsie2290

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Sorry about your other rooster, it is hard to lose them. This one is definitely a rooster, (cockerel = young rooster, usually under one year of age).

7. Motorcyclemama

Oct 2, 2013
    Thanks for all the help. I am trying to learn what I can so that I can help my son. He is very excited about this. I have noticed that the duck seems to be in charge, but the Rooster is second in line and leads the girls all over the place. I'm enjoying the entertainment the entire group provide.

8. Motorcyclemama

Oct 2, 2013
    Another question, should we be seeing eggs from the other 2 and the duck anytime soon? And, from what I was reading, they may not actually lay them in the coop since they free range?

9. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Think the black and white one is a silver lace wyandotte.

10. Kelsie2290

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Do you know how old they are? Your Barred Rock looks like she is getting pretty close. If they free range they may very well hide nests. Do you have a coop/run set up with nesting boxes where you could lock them up if you had to? No idea what the duck is going to do since it is fairly late in the year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by