Help We can't tell the chicks apart.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bantu, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Bantu

Bantu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    USA
    My Coop
    My sister and I bought chicks and we are going to divide the order. She ordered Barnvelders and Easter eggers. I ordered Welsummer and Easter eggers. THEY LOOK ALIKE! I don't want to seperate them and then have to reintroduce them at a later date. Please help.

2. moutainMan

moutainMan Just Hatched

Jul 28, 2016
    Having hatched all of those you have mentioned, the best advise I ca offer is this (assuming all are females)

-Welsummers tell tale sign is the dark brown "eyeliner" that runs parallel through their eyes back their head
    -Barnevelders tend to be a little darker than the welsummers and will have dark "chipmunk stripes" down their backs.
    -Easter eggs can look like just about anything. But usually you can see a little extra puffiness around the cheeks.

Sorry I dont have more to offer! Do you have pics you ca post?

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Barnevelder and Welsummers are both chipmunk striped and yellow legged. But some Easter Eggers are also striped but should have dark legs. Barnevelder chicks will have dark heads and a dark patch around their eye. Welsummers will lighter faced and will have a dark line past the eye and the dark arrow pointing to the beak. Your Easter Eggers should be dark legged and bearded.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yep.......your a bit hooped right now.....the EEs will have dark legs and can be chipmunk also.........lol....

Confusing for sure......

Cheers!

5. Bantu

Jul 21, 2016
    USA
    My Coop
    I'll post photos just to make sure.

6. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    You know how many of each you ordered, right? Pull out the ones with colored legs. (greenish or greyish). They should be your Easter eggers. I had both breeds in one shipment once. Thankfully they were all for me and I couldn't tell them apart. They were all chipmunks. Then I remembered to look at the legs and it was easy.
    Then separate the light from the darker ones for Barnvelders should be darker than the welsummers.

7. Bantu

Jul 21, 2016
    USA
    My Coop

I'll do that! Sounds the easiest. I learned my lesson though, order my own!

8. Bantu

Jul 21, 2016
    USA
    My Coop

I've had Easter eggers twice now got them as adults even as adults they look like green legged Brown leghorns. I really hope these are a little different in color and smarter. Lost all of them because they would wander off on their own.

9. Colly1470

Colly1470 Just Hatched

Feb 15, 2017
    Wilton, Maine
    Once it's figured out, to tell individuals apart if you have multiple of each breed, use colored zipties [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by