Help!!! We dont know which brand to buy to our teenager duck!

DuckyAndCo

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 22, 2013
Fort Lauderdale
Hi everyone. We have a 9 weeks old muscovy duck and today we are planning to buy him a bag of food. He was eating a Chick Starter by Manna Pro (non medicated).
Do we still have to feed him with starter? Or we should switch to Grower? In that case, which are the best options?

He is an indoor / outdoor duck. At night he sleeps in his petcarrier inside the house until we finish his coop.

Any help will be appreciated!!! We are very new in this duck thing. We rescued him when he was like 1 - 2 weeks.

Hi everyone. We have a 9 weeks old muscovy duck and today we are planning to buy him a bag of food. He was eating a Chick Starter by Manna Pro (non medicated).
Do we still have to feed him with starter? Or we should switch to Grower? In that case, which are the best options?

He is an indoor / outdoor duck. At night he sleeps in his petcarrier inside the house until we finish his coop.

Any help will be appreciated!!! We are very new in this duck thing. We rescued him when he was like 1 - 2 weeks.

I can't help ya on the food since my flock from hatch till end of their very long lives[hopefully] eat Purina Flock Raiser. but just wanted to say Welcome and your Scovy is adorable. I have 16 of them and love each one.

Welcome to the Duck Forum!

I must admit that when I read the title of this thread, I thought to myself, gosh what a devoted duck mom, trying to decide which brand of electronic entertainment device or cell phone for her duck.
lol.png

A split second later, I thought, wait, wait, no . . . must be something else . . .

I switched from starter crumbles over to grower pellets starting at two weeks for my runners. I just added a little of the grower to the starter, and increased the percentage of grower, over a few weeks till the starter was eaten and they were used to the grower pellets.

At the time I was able to get a Nutrena Duck Grower. But you may not have that option, so a grower-maintenance pellet should do for a while.

Welcome to the Duck Forum!

I must admit that when I read the title of this thread, I thought to myself, gosh what a devoted duck mom, trying to decide which brand of electronic entertainment device or cell phone for her duck.
lol.png

A split second later, I thought, wait, wait, no . . . must be something else . . .

I switched from starter crumbles over to grower pellets starting at two weeks for my runners. I just added a little of the grower to the starter, and increased the percentage of grower, over a few weeks till the starter was eaten and they were used to the grower pellets.

At the time I was able to get a Nutrena Duck Grower. But you may not have that option, so a grower-maintenance pellet should do for a while.
Thats hilarious A.
lol.png

Thanks everyone! We ended up buying Purina Flock Raiser so our Ducky will eat that as soon as he finishes with the chick starter. We also bought 2 coop cups water food bowls at the feed store. As Ducky sleeps inside that petcarrier at night, we can place the 2 bowls on the crate door. Still not sure if this would be a great idea as he already tried to jump into them once.

I'm still trying to get ideas on how to feed him without him to poop all over his bowls. Any other ideas? If possible post pictures.
God knows is not easy to be a duck's mom!
hit.gif

Below there is a pic of him when he was about 3 - 4 weeks old.

Here Ducky exploring his new kiddie pool weeks ago. Now he is needing a new bigger one so he can practice his deep swimming. I gotta post a video!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! We ended up buying Purina Flock Raiser so our Ducky will eat that as soon as he finishes with the chick starter. We also bought 2 coop cups water food bowls at the feed store. As Ducky sleeps inside that petcarrier at night, we can place the 2 bowls on the crate door. Still not sure if this would be a great idea as he already tried to jump into them once.

I'm still trying to get ideas on how to feed him without him to poop all over his bowls. Any other ideas? If possible post pictures.
God knows is not easy to be a duck's mom!
hit.gif

Below there is a pic of him when he was about 3 - 4 weeks old.

So precious, at 5 weeks he doesn't need to have food and water over night. Just make sure he has it all other times. and you can take a cool whip container and cut a hole in the top just large enough for him to get his head inside to keep water from being splashed about to much. you'll have to make hole larger as he grows of course and place a rock in the bottom to keep him form tipping it over, they need something deep enough to wash their faces when they eat.

found in the archives...
I used a large cottage cheese container (plastic), with an oval slice cut out of the lid. Plus a nice round rock in the bottom, should it get low and lighter before I refilled it. Later, I changed to a large Cool Whip container.
41679_duklingwaterer.jpg

Yours is much more clever. ps this is not my post just wanted to share what one looks like,.

Last edited:
So precious, at 5 weeks he doesn't need to have food and water over night. Just make sure he has it all other times. and you can take a cool whip container and cut a hole in the top just large enough for him to get his head inside to keep water from being splashed about to much. you'll have to make hole larger as he grows of course and place a rock in the bottom to keep him form tipping it over, they need something deep enough to wash their faces when they eat.

found in the archives...
I used a large cottage cheese container (plastic), with an oval slice cut out of the lid. Plus a nice round rock in the bottom, should it get low and lighter before I refilled it. Later, I changed to a large Cool Whip container.
41679_duklingwaterer.jpg

Yours is much more clever. ps this is not my post just wanted to share what one looks like,.

Thanks for the idea!
wee.gif
I will start exploring new options.

Back
Top Bottom