Help! We had an early pip on day 17 and no chicks since

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farmgirlinMN, Apr 12, 2012.

1. farmgirlinMN

farmgirlinMN New Egg

Apr 12, 2012
    Hello fellow chicken lovers,

We had a chick pip on day 17- we rushed to get lockdown set up, adding water and bumping up humidity. (We usually dry hatch). The chick died after a few hours. It is now day 21 and we have had nothing since. I'm so confused. Why did this chick hatch early and die and why has nothing happened since with our other eggs? I need encouragement. We candled only 2 yesterday and although we see an air sac and completely full egg-no movement. When we added the water for lockdown, the temp did spike to over 115 degrees for only about 10 min. max. We got it cooled down though. Am I missing a major component?

2. smchickfarm

smchickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    I am sorry about the chick. However, I would give them a couple more days. Mine last weekend didn't start hatching till late in the day on day 21. If your temp has been up and down, that could cause the delay.

Good Luck![​IMG]

3. farmgirlinMN

farmgirlinMN New Egg

Apr 12, 2012
    Thanks for the encouragement! I am just so stumped as to what might have happened. I've NEVER had a good hatch rate and cannot figure out why! Temps and humidity seem to be all good. Weird?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by