1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! We have a broody hen who simply won't break!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by logefarm, Jul 7, 2016.

1. logefarm

logefarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2015
    Hi everyone, thanks in advance for the advice...

We have a year old silkie hen who goes broody about every six weeks. We do not need her to hatch eggs.
    Our normal trick to snap her out of it is to put her in a separate cage with food and water, away from the coop for a few days. We try letting her out, and if she heads back to the nesting box we stick her right back in. It usually takes 2-3 days in the cage and she's happy again.

This time it's been a week! We've left her in the cage for three days times two, and she still heads straight to the NB.

I've ready about putting ice, etc. underneath them, but I'm not sure that's a great or humane idea.

Does anyone have any tips?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Silkies are the most broody breed ever. I would continue to deny her access to the nest. Ice and water don't do anything except make a wet chicken. If it's hot where you are you may need to blow a fan in her direction or raise the cage higher. Of course the best way is to let them become moms, I haven't had a silkie that wasn't a great mom. They do seem to become more determined as the season gets on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by