help, we have a chick that is hurting the rest

ittybit

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 6, 2013
Hi, we are new to raising chickens. we have 3 week old chicks. 19 of them. One of them pecks the others until they bleed. We keep it seperated but able to see the others since it was 3 days old. It pecks their vents and eyes. Everyday we put it back in and watch. Within one minute it is running from chick to chick pecking. It is an easter egger. The ones it attacks first are the rhode island reds. We have left it in longer and it will go for any other the other chicks. We have had to seperate injured ones until they heal because of this chick. The rest get along fine. Is there any suggestions what we can do? We are just heart broke for this chick and our little flock. any help would be so appreciated. thanks so much!! We are raising these to lay eggs and as pets and love them already.

If it relentlessly pecking with no hope in site, I would say 18 is a good number of chicks to have. Does it get along with ANY of the others? If it was just pecking here and there with no blood I would leave it to them to figure out but this one seems to be a real problem. I would get rid of it.

Sell it, give it away or cull it. Unless someone else has a suggestion on how to make it stop, I think it is going to continue to cause you grief. There are sprays to discourage feather eating and so forth but I don't know if it would work for just pecking.

I got the same thing just tonight , I got 4 11 day olds with the feathers missing from the top of the wingsand bloody. I pulled the 4 and watched, nothing, so I set one back in, and one went right for the spot. I put the culprit in with my RIRs that are 4 days older and been watching for an hour, and all is fine so far. The reds are a lot bigger.
These cochins have been a pain from the first pip.

mine are really mostly the same size. I just don't know what to do? Is there a way to clip or file it's beak so it can still eat and drink but not have a dagger to peck with?

Try separating the offender from the rest of the flock for 48 hours. Give her a "time out" and allow the rest of them to relax and recover a bit. Then try integrating her back into the flock and see if she acts any better.

If she doesn't, I'd get rid of her in one way or another. You could give her away but I'd make sure the others knew that she was giving you trouble as you don't want to pawn trouble off on someone else. Put an ad in Craigslist, maybe someone with an established flock would be willing to give her a try.

If that doesn't work, time to sharpen the axe.

I thought I was going to have to get rid of one bird in this years hatch. But I put in some toys for them (straw, little perches, etc.) Bored chicks can be mean. And now she is super sweet. Easter eggers are usually bullied not the bully themselves. How long did you seperate them? Also how big is your brooder box? Too small of a box can lead to issues.

What worries me is that it is pecking in the eyes and vent, that is usually cannibalism. How old were they when you got them? Where did you get them. Cannibalism can be a problem, if it is you could either cull or re-home. I personally can't get myself to cull, but I wouldn't want to have that chick teach the rest to be cannibals either. So to me that is one reason that I would maybe have to cull. I personally hate culling and I've been lucky enough not to have to so far.

Many people will take one or two hens for the enjoyment and the eggs. Especially in city limits, where they can only have a couple. Another thing is many people don't want to have chicks because the dust and dander in you house/garage, use this for your advantage. Or sell her to someone who wants one chicken for their kids or something. As long as she's sweet to humans. If it's a cockerel somebody could want one just to have a neat looking rooster running around their property. So this could be an option if things don't get worse.

Another option is blue kote, I have heard nothing but good things about it. Except it doesn't wash out of clothes and it is hard to get off your skin so be careful. Also try neosporin on the injured ones if you don't try the blue kote. I usually put neosporin on injured birds seperate it for a day so I can monitor it. Bit if the injury is bad I seperate till it is competely healed. Then I try putting it back in.

I would first try the seperate her and put in some toys, give her some time. It could take a few tries. If it doesn't work ask friends and family help look for someone who would take her. I think you can probably find a solution that doesn't include culling.

Vicks Vaporub. On the pecked little on works like magic! They all keep their distance from him now! Wonder if works around plants I don't want eaten?

Back
Top Bottom