Help! We have cockerel concerns!

D C Smith

Hatching
Jan 29, 2017
Berkshire, UK
We have been given 7 birds and were told they were all hens, but recently one has started crowing. The crow doesn't sound quite the same as the usual cockerel crow, but we are unsure as to whether she is a she or a he. He/She has been the dominant bird in the pack, but has just started chasing the girls around and we saw them mount one this morning. We are going by the assumption that the bird is a cockerel now, but are concerned that the girls in our flock are unhappy, as we have seen signs of puffing up their necks and running away from him. Is there anything we can do, other than remove the problem?

Welcome to BYC!

Are you talking about the one in the middle of your avatar pic?
Yes, sure looks like a cockerel.

Are the birds all about 4-5 months old?
If so.... yep, his hormones are rising and he is ready to mate,
but the girls won't be for at least a month or more.

Typical chicken behavior, often not pretty, and can be vicious.
There will always be pecking and dominance and sometimes blood,
but the young cockerel is often the first and most alarming new chicken keeper experience.

You'll have to decide if you want a male in your flock.
If not, get rid of him now.
If you do want a male in your flock,
it might be best to house him separately until the girls are of laying age.

Many ways to deal with male livestock, but they must be managed.

Last edited:
" They must be managed" Is good advice. If these are your first birds, I would recommend that you try and take him back. Don't get a single hen to replace him, A single bird is difficult to add to an established flock.

Roosters take a great deal of space, and experienced flock owners in my opinion. I would recommend culling him one way or the other.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom