Help we saw worms in their poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newnanchic, Mar 28, 2008.

1. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    What can we do ?? We saw worms in a pile of our chicken poop. We have 18 hens and 2 roos. Thanks

2. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    My chickens had roundworm, but I only knew that b/c I took a fecal to the vet. You could do the same; take a fecal to be tested to be sure what kind of worms they have and then treat it accordingly. I used Wazine, but be sure you only use it for 1 day. I found that out the hard way. You cannot eat the eggs while treating w/this product, however.

3. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    Thanks for the info. We will head to the feed store in the morning. Does anyone else have a remedy for worms??

4. chickenshadow

chickenshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Iowa
    Quote:Diatomachous Earth (Search on DE) may do it. People have talked a lot on the
    old ezboard forum about garlic too.

5. fosterchick

fosterchick Chillin' With My Peeps

I try to keep ever thing natural by put garlic and Apple cider vinager in the drinking water. In the summer we grow pumkins and give them to the chickens to eat. Both of these will help keep worms a bay natural but will not get rid of them.

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Canned pumpkin works well too! Just make sure you get plain canned pumpkin..no spices. Good luck...I hope they all get better soon.

7. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    fecal test is best..

or you can give Wazine 17 (piperazine)..
    (usually 1 tablespoon per gallon of water for 1 day..repeat in 10-14 days)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by