Help! We were on vacation... thought eggs were rotten threw in garden and found a baby inside.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by playconnection, Mar 11, 2015.

1. playconnection

playconnection New Egg

Nov 27, 2014
    Help! We didn't know what to do. The duck was out in the yard for the first time in months. Last week was freezing and we were on vacation for 10 days. Today was 65! We decided to clean the coop and throw out old eggs. We MOVED all of them with a rake. They were buried inside a little house inside our coop. Thought the duck was acting strange. Had the kids throw the eggs in the garden. The first one out had a fully formed baby duckling with feathers. It was still attached to "umbilical cord". Lots of blood. We think it was alive. We took all the eggs back (though some smelled rotten) and put them back where we found them. Is it too late? Did we shake them too much? What should we do? We are new at this... obviously.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  2. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Eek! Well next time don't throw them, check eggs before you toss them. Sounds like they were close to hatching. Time to go back and toss the rotten ones. Did she go back to sitting? I don't know if any will make it. Next time pay more attention to your duck before tossing things.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  3. playconnection

playconnection New Egg

Nov 27, 2014
    Yes, I have been frantically searching. Seems like it was almost ready to hatch. Its eye was open :( I am so sad. Kids are sad. Totally my fault. She went back to sitting. Turns out we hadn't got them all, but we did remove 7-10. I'm so upset that we moved them so much before realizing it. From what I have been reading, seems like the little one only needed to absorb that yolk and was ready to pip? With the temperature change and the dampness in there, I just couldn't imagine that there were hatchlings. We'll remove any more rotten ones tomorrow if she lets us. I feel terrible. What do we do if they do hatch? She is in a coop with 6 chickens, a Rooster, and a Mallard (the father I presume- though we had some male Pekins that we had to give away).

4. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I'm sure that was quite a shock for everyone but there is nothing to do about it now. I'm sorry. She should push out the rotten ones again but I don't know if it is best to mess with her or just leave her at this point. Any chance you can move her and the whole nest to a separate area? Mother ducks are the best incubators and you have much better hatch rates with a real duck. They know how to keep them warm and the humidity correct. This is going to be a tough one and I've never hatch anything so I don't know the best way to go about it.

5. playconnection

playconnection New Egg

Nov 27, 2014
    The coop is the safest, but we might be able to make a special area. It is really a shed with a "screened in porch" attached. Plenty of room. Lessons learned. I really didn't want babies, but... We have a pond. We used to let everyone free range, but there were some wild teal ducks out there. They had about 16 babies. Every week there was one less. Our resident hawk waits in the bushes. Now, everyone stays inside a fenced area, but he still lurks around. When it warms up, we'll make some kind of net covering, what we had was no match for the snow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by