Help! Week Old Chick Pecking Itself!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shannon89815, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Shannon89815

Shannon89815 Just Hatched

Mar 2, 2017
    Hi All,
    I don't know if this little one will be around by a.m. She's pecking above and below a wing to the point that all her little fuzz is gone and other chicks occasionally join in. He side is raw. I've put blue dyed Polysporin on it to no avail.

I have 6 chicks in a 3' diameter area with Ecosea brooder. The heat seems about right. They have fresh water and plenty of food available in a long trough and on a plate they can scratch. Pine shavings to run around and poop in.

What's up with this chick self-inflicting wounds to itself?

S

2. Stephine

Stephine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    If the others are pecking at it you need to separate it or they can badly hurt or kill it when you are not looking. See if you can get the blue stuff from Rooster Booster (pick no more? ), that one really works. In the meantime and while separated you can put vetericyn on the wound. I would do generally supportive things (vitamins, make sure it eats) and make sure temp is right AND chick has the option to go to a cooler zone in the brooder.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  3. Shannon89815

Shannon89815 Just Hatched

Mar 2, 2017
    Thank you. I'll look for the Peck No More product; and yes there is plenty of cooler space in brooder and so far the injured one is staying under the Brinsea to stay warm. I'm trying to interfere minimally so as not to add more stress to any of them.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by