HELP!!!! Week Old Toulouse Gosling Seizures/Spasms

ducklady789

In the Brooder
May 28, 2019
Hi friends. So I have a big problem. I have a buff Toulouse gosling who is about a week old. Earlier today he was just fine. He was with the other babies and they were all doing great. However, I went to check on them and I found him on its back. I picked him up and he flipped back onto his back. I proceeded to put him in a separate box away from the others and I noticed he was spasming and having what appeared to be a seizure. So I brought him into the house and put a heat lamp on him. I have very carefully been using a dropper to drip some water with niacin on his tongue to hopefully help him. If you pick him up he is fairly limp but still tries to struggle. But, he has not been getting better. I have been sitting with him and it seems as if his "seizures" have been more frequent. :(

I am afraid it is probably too late for this little guy. However, I had this problem with a gosling once right after it hatched and I figured it was something related to hatching. I guess I am just asking if anybody else has experienced this or anybody knows how to prevent this.

Could it be from the other birds possibly giving it neck damage? Honestly, I am clueless. Any advice would help.

For some background information; they are all in a big water tub and they have crushed corn cob bedding. I feed a flock raiser starter that is not medicated. I have used it for years and never had many problems. I have had birds that have struggled with niacin deficiency in the past so to prevent that I have been giving the babies a small amount of niacin in their water.

Thank you so much!

Sorry your baby isn't doing well. :(

If ducklings are anything like chicks I'd imagine some of them just don't make it. I had a chick die at 6 days old completely out of the blue/for no apparent reason. Fine one day, dead the next.

Is he pooping at all?

Sorry your baby isn't doing well. :(

If ducklings are anything like chicks I'd imagine some of them just don't make it. I had a chick die at 6 days old completely out of the blue/for no apparent reason. Fine one day, dead the next.

Is he pooping at all?

Yeah, I have those experiences as well. When that happens it just sucks, to be honest. :hmm I guess I just always hope that there is something I can do.

I haven't seen him poop since I have been sitting with him. However, I did check his vent and looked clear. There was nothing that was visibly blocking it and there was no poop stuck to it.

It totally sucks. It's awful not knowing why it's happening/being powerless to help.

I was on a thread last night where someone had lethargic chicks and they put some molasses in milk and gave it to them and they perked up. Doubt that would help with the seizures but it might give him some energy?

1 tsp molasses to 1 cup of room temperature milk. Dropper feed.

It totally sucks. It's awful not knowing why it's happening/being powerless to help.

I was on a thread last night where someone had lethargic chicks and they put some molasses in milk and gave it to them and they perked up. Doubt that would help with the seizures but it might give him some energy?

1 tsp molasses to 1 cup of room temperature milk. Dropper feed.

I will give it a try. Thank you so much for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom