HELP! Weird infection on ducks toe!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ilovechickens34, Jun 25, 2016.

1. ilovechickens34

ilovechickens34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2016
    I have a Welsh Harlequin duck, and she has this weird infection in her foot. This strange, hard, white stuff came out of her foot, and now it's an open wound sort of thing. It's really strange. Does anyone know what it could be?
    It looked like it was bumble foot a week ago and we were treating it, but now it just looks like a strange infection.

This is her foot
    [​IMG]

The weird, yellowish white stuff coming out of her foot
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That looks like the pus that would come out of bumble. Keep soaking in ES if you have been after soak dry her foot and pack the hole with some kind of antibiotic ointment with out pain relief. then make sure to keep her on as clean an area you can till the hole closes up. If the foot and leg are hot to touch you might want to give her some oral antibiotics to make sure the infection hasn't spread. @ilovechickens34

1 person likes this.
  3. BarrerasDucks

BarrerasDucks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2015
    Corbett, Oregon
    Second Miss Lydia the sweetheart on BC!!

Epsom salt twice daily wrap her up with Triple Antibiotic ointment and separate her. I have a separate little pen next to my coop. It's my ICU if you will! Lol! I'd you wrap her up use waterproof tape and gauze. Give her 2 weeks she'll be fine.

FYI...check their feet weekly or at least bi-weekly. You'll catch it earlier. Then you can use simple Draw Salve at the early stages. If you use Draw Salve.

4. ilovechickens34

Apr 15, 2016

Thanks so much! I don't think her leg is hot, but I'll double check.

5. ilovechickens34

Apr 15, 2016

Thanks! I'll try to keep an eye on them more from now on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by