1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! WEIRD POOP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Becksyboo, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Becksyboo

Becksyboo Just Hatched

Aug 18, 2016
    Northern Ireland
    I'm very concerned for my 4 month old chicken! When it poops it's almost all clear watery stuff with a few tiny specs of poop. I've noticed this for a while now, Is this serious?

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi. [​IMG]

It sounds serious to me. How many chicks do you have? Are they all doing this? Any other symptoms? How long do you mean by a while (week, month, days)? Do they free range or what is their housing situation? What are you feeding?

You might be able to use the search bar, I know there is a chart with poo pics and what they indicate.

We will need more info to help so answering the questions would be a good start.

Good luck!

3. Becksyboo

Becksyboo Just Hatched

Aug 18, 2016
    Northern Ireland
    There is only 2 chicks and they live with the main flock in a coop and have a big pen to scratch around. The other chicks poop seems to be normal or perhaps a bit on the softer side, my older hens have normal droppings. I have been noticing it for a week maybe a little longer. The only thing I can think of is that they eat the layers pellets that my other hens eat. Hope that's a bit more information
    Thankyou!

4. ambergds

ambergds Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    Utah
    I have the same thing going on. I have a few chickens with watery poop. I tried probiotics with no improvement so today I sent in a stool sample to a local vet for a fecal floot test to get this figured out. Some of my thoughts are a possible bacteria infection or worms or coccidiosis? I will know hopefully this afternoon.
    Can you get some poop and take it to a vet for testing?

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos of the poop?
    Have the chicks started laying eggs yet?
    How long have they been eating layer pellets?

You may want to consider feeding an all flock/flock raiser formula until they come into lay. Excess calcium may not be too good for the chick. This could be the cause, but as suggested, a fecal sample taken to the vet will be helpful.

Also what is your weather like, is it extremely hot where you are? Could be just drinking more than normal due to weather.
    Another possibility is to check her crop - any impaction or sour smell to the crop?

I feed an all flock/flock raiser to all my birds regardless of gender or age. I provide oyster shell free choice for the hens.

6. EggSighted4Life

I would switch the food as soon as possible.

Actually, I agree with @Wyorp Rock .... Good questions and suggestions.

Too much calcium is definitely not good! It can cause problems for sure, including kidney issues. You can also feed hens the chick feed (un-medicated) and provide oyster shell on the side whether you go with flock raiser/all flock or the starter. Your hens will use it but the chicks will leave it alone.

I also use all flock/flock raiser and oyster shell on the side. Plus I ferment the feed. There is a difference between the two formulas. I haven't decided which one or brand that I like yet. I spend time going to the different 2 LFS and comparing nutrient value and ingredients.

7. ambergds

ambergds Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    Utah
    My fecal float came back with roundworms. Which surprised me since I wormed them this spring and I live in a dry climate. I will be treating with safeguard. When is the last time you wormed your flock?

8. EggSighted4Life

Thanks for sharing.

I bought a microscope so I can run my own tests since I have 3 dogs, 2 goats, and 48 chickens. $25 is how much a float at my vet costs so it adds up fast. And I hate to treat for something I might not have.

Aside from your dry environment, do you have other animals on site?

9. Becksyboo

Becksyboo Just Hatched

Aug 18, 2016
    Northern Ireland
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I will try get photos but it is practically water so you can't really see it. I haven't wormed the chicks yet so it could possibly be worms? Apart from the poop they look healthy so I didn't think the food would bother them but I shall change that and see if it helps [​IMG]

10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    She looks bright and perky.

The watery poo could be due to weather especially if it is hot and she is drinking a lot of water.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by