Help! Weird Rear end!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MADZ of Animal, Aug 3, 2013.

1. MADZ of Animal

MADZ of Animal Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2013
    [​IMG]

What is wrong with my chicken!?! Is she hurt!

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    From the photograph it looks as if she may have a prolapse...

If so.. apply Prep-H or honey to the vent, keep her in a darkened place away from the other chickens... depending upon how bad the prolapse is.... she may need an antibiotic to minimise the risk of an infection.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Has it been pecked? If it is a prolapse they will continue to peck her so she needs to be islolated. Is it above her tail or at the vent?

4. MADZ of Animal

Jun 24, 2013
    She has been pecked, but is separate at the moment. It is right at the vent. Will she die?

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like prolapsed vent. Here is what you should do (copied and pasted from another one of my posts--apparently, prolapse is a common problem):

Soak your hen for 15-20 minutes in hot water (95-100 degrees), then dry her the best you can, put her in a enclosure, and leave her alone. Don't give her any more feed for at least six hours. Water is fine.

After she has dried a bit more on her own, you can try rubbing some honey and/or Witch Hazel on the prolapse, try to push the prolapse in once, and then don't try again for at least a day. Continuous pushing can cause the prolapse to become irritated. Make sure that the tissue is kept moist, as if it dries out, it dies. Most of the time, if left alone, prolapses will go in within 1-3 days. Make sure to keep your hen in a dark or dimly lit area, and only let her have feed once in the morning, and once in the evening. The object is to keep her from laying any more eggs, as that will only aggravate the prolapse.

6. MADZ of Animal

Jun 24, 2013
    Thank you all! I tried everything you suggested and she seems to be getting better! I now have two hens with this problem, and one had an egg stuck in the vent, but thanks to you, I knew what to do and the egg is out. [​IMG]

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Great news! [​IMG]

8. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Well done MADZ....!

9. MADZ of Animal

Jun 24, 2013