Help! weird red thing hanging out of my ducks bottom

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChickenJill, Feb 5, 2012.

1. ChickenJill

ChickenJill Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    What is the weird red thing hanging out of my ducks bottom? I am trying to get a picture.....
    please don't laugh if it is supposed to be there....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't think it should be there I have 10 ducks and none of them have anything red hanging out of their bottoms.. [​IMG]
    Maybe a prolaspe?

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I won't laugh. If it's a drake, it could be his penis. If it's a duck (female), it could be part of the oviduct.

In either case, clean warm bath first thing. Keep the duck where it is clean and warm, with good food and water, keep it as quiet as possible. Dabbing some triple antibiotic on the area should help and I don't think it will hurt unless there is bleeding.

I will check back later to see if you've been able to upload a photo. Breathe.

[​IMG]

4. ChickenJill

Aug 14, 2010
    OK that was the best picture I could get. I don't even know if this duck is a male or a female......

5. ChickenPrnces

ChickenPrnces Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2012
    Deerfield, NH
    Don't know about the red thing but I would guess that's an Indian Runner Drake because it seems to have the single up-curled tail feather in that picture!

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It looks like a prolapsed penis. How long has he had this? A nice warm bath is a good first step.

He needs to be kept away from other birds so they won't peck at it.

Storey's guide says keep him away from other birds, in a clean place. Bathe him, clean the penis and the area around it, and apply medicated ointment. I think triple antibiotic ointment should work fine. You may be able to gently push it back into his body. If it remains outside his body it will begin to dry out and the tissue will die.

These can take a while to cure, but they can heal. There are duck people on this forum who have dealt with it before so I hope they check in soon. You may want to add to your topic title "phallus prostration - need advice for treatment" but most will be able to guess that's what he has.

Poor baby.

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Has he been mating with anybody? Looks like you only have the one duck right now.

8. ChickenJill

Aug 14, 2010
    I have 5 runners. I think 3 are males. They hatched Oct 9 so they are 4 months old now...

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If they are 4 months old I wouldn't think they would be mating yet. But they maybe practicing which could have caused this, but like Amiga says you need to let him soak and put something like antibiotic salve on it or it will dry out then it will have to be amputated.
    Don't mean to scare you but this is serious. or can be if not treated.

10. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I don't want you to overload, but after a few more weeks, you may need to deal with the too-many-boys situation. More drakes than ducks can cause serious problems for the females.

But one thing at a time. See if you can get that beautiful boy into sick bay and help him retract his penis.

Duck moms have to do some really interesting things sometimes, to help their little ones. Hoo boy. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by