1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help!!!.... Well should I help???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NaturalCharm81, Nov 19, 2011.

1. NaturalCharm81

NaturalCharm81 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    [​IMG]

I have this chick in the incubator and he pipped a hole in the shell, and hasn't done anythomh else all day. I discovered his pipping at 9am this morning. Should I be worried?? Temp is 99 and humidity is 75%. Should I help, and how if anything do i keep him from drying up on the inside... Any suggestions will be helpful Thanks.

(sorry the pic kinda sucks)

2. hlf1996

hlf1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    I would not open the incubator. He is probably just resting before he comes completely out of the shell or he may even be absorbing his yolk still. Opening the incubator would cause you to lose humidity which could cause shrink wrapping.

3. NaturalCharm81

Sep 26, 2011
    Ok I won't open it... I will restrain myself. Question.. If 2-3 days pass and he's still like this what do I do???

4. JenniferNgo

JenniferNgo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Texas
    Nah, he will be out by morning. No worries! Funny...I thought I was the only one who has ALL of my babies hatch at night...

Excited for you!!

5. hlf1996

hlf1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    If 2-3 days pass then you can try to help. You will need to follow this forum https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9316&p=1 it explains what to do. If you do decide to help (please wait for at least 24 hours) be very very careful. If you have anymore questions you could always PM me. Good luck and happy hatching!

6. NaturalCharm81

Sep 26, 2011
    Quote:Thanks Jennifer!!! Um crossing my fingers.. honestly my eggs have been through hell.... I started out with 2 countem 2 faulty thermometers and at like the 5th day I figured it out got it right and been semi-smooth sailing.... I hope he is out in the morning, but i still see red in his shell with him... I dunno. On a bright note his eggmate is rocking in the shell next to him. I hope they both live....sigh [​IMG]

7. NaturalCharm81

Sep 26, 2011
    Quote:Thanks so much hlf!! I sure will and I appreciate the helping hand [​IMG]

8. NaturalCharm81

Sep 26, 2011
    Well I just went to check on the little chick and he was dead... He looked like he had grown into the hole he pecked out for air... I forgot to mention these are pullet eggs. It seriously just looked like he ran out of room to grow. when i took the shell and membrane off he didn't even have feathers.....I dunnoo what to think... or do so discouraged [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by