1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! Wet Feed Consequences?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by smith2, Jul 8, 2008.

1. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    I bought several bags of layer several weeks ago and it got wet. Now when I open the bags it has turned black and yellow and is all clumpy aroung the edges where the bag got wet. Can I still feed it to the chickens? I really can't afford to throw it out, but I don't want to make my chickens sick or contaminate my eggs. What should I do?

2. summerwindsfarm

summerwindsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2008
    Stroud, Oklahoma
    No dont feed it. The mold can and will kill your chickens.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, I agree. Moldy feed can lead to aspergillosis. Please toss it.

4. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    if you think it came that way i'd call your feed store to complain, but chances are there's a leak in your roof or you need to store feed on a pallet. sorry for the loss, but you'd be more upset about losing your chickens if they died from eating moldy feed. glad you caught it before feeding it your your cluckers!

5. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    Thanks guys! I have never had anything like this before. I just started opening all the bags to see how many are bad. I'll use the good ones and toss the others. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by