Help .. We've got twins!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by avocado, Aug 18, 2014.

1. avocado

avocado Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2014
    UK
    Hello,

It's day 9 of my second hatch at home using an incubator. I candled this evening and I am very excited to find out there's twins in there! However I know their prognosis is not good and the likelihood they will survive is small.

What do I do from now to make sure they have the best chance?

Thanks

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    For now, just incubate them as you would a normal egg - same temperature, same turning schedule, etc. If there is room enough in there and they are able to survive, treating them like a normal egg will be the way to go. If the egg is too small, or they get in each other's way, they may quit before lockdown. This is usually what happens because there's just not enough room and resources for both chicks. However, they may make all the way to hatch time, at which point you're probably going to have to step in. They will be in each other's way for hatching, and likely won't be able to turn to be able to zip and get out, so you'll be looking at an assisted hatch. There is a really good video out there of a member here helping twins hatch and I'll have to see if I can find it for you. Also, it is a good idea to read up on assisted hatching. There is a really good article about it by Sally Sunshine in the learning center that I recommend you read. I hope you keep us updated on these guys!

1 person likes this.
  3. debbie50chicks

debbie50chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2014
    Tampa Bay Area, Florida
    How very cool! I'll be following this thread to see what happens. Here's hoping good things!

4. avocado

Jul 21, 2014
    UK
    Thanks you both. I will keep this thread updated :)

5. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I found the video for you! See here: Both of them survived when they came out. Somewhere around here is the thread for them.

6. avocado

Jul 21, 2014
    UK
    Thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by