***HELP***!!! WHAT AM I???? Something crested!!!Genetics question too!

Guitartists

Resistance is futile
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
Michigan
I picked out this Polish x Silkie... it looks like a Polish but has 5 toes! ***** SEE POSTS BELOW!!*****

polish.jpg

My Mahogany Faverolle... hoping it is a pullet. They had 5, two were lighter red with more feathers. Seems to be a very gentle bird!

fav.jpg

Fox picked out a white Silkie chick... again, hoping for a pullet
wink.png

silkie.jpg

And last but NOT least! A little partridge Showgirl! Lady was pretty certain she would be a pullet
wink.png
We shall see
smile.png

show.jpg

Last edited:
Wait! Looking at breeds... I saw the Houdans....Is my Polish really a Houdan??? They were selling Silkies and Polish, so I assumed it was a mix... the lady said she had no idea.. they just buy the eggs, hatch them and sell the chicks. Houdans have that 5th toe... could it be???? Help me out Houdan people!
big_smile.png

Could it be some kind of Crevecoeurs mix?

Last edited:
Here are more pics of the little black one.... for your consideration.
smile.png
He seems like he has too much black to be a mottled Houdan... but....
hu.gif

hou.jpg

hou2.jpg

hou3.jpg

hou4.jpg

Quote:
Are you sure he is crossed with a silkie? Because mottled houdans have 5 toes also. But if it is a polish silkie cross the silkie color could just be coming out more.

No, I'n not sure of anything
tongue.png
LOL The lady said they get their hatching eggs from some lady. They had Silkies... I asked her if the lady had Silkies also and she said yes. I wish I had known about Houdans then
tongue.png
I would have asked. Now, Feathered legs is a dominant trait..right? It probably is NOT a Silkie cross since there is NO signs of feathering????? I've seen two other posts about Poilishes with 5 toes.... maybe one of the hatcheries or breeders has been injecting some Houdan blood????
big_smile.png

Quote:
Normally yes feathered legs is a dominate trait, but with genetics anything can happen. If people are getting 5 toed polish from hatcheries then the hatcheries apparently don't have good stock. Would it be possible for you to call the lady and see if they had any houdans? If you got a houdan your very lucky
wink.png
I've been looking everywhere for them or eggs or something.

That's the problem.. I got it Sat at a swap and have NO idea how to get ahold of the lady I bought it from. I'd like to think it is a Houdan... but they seem to have MUCH more white. So I am thinking it just has to be a Polish cross
tongue.png
Now, someone correct me if I'm wrong here.... but if I breed this bird to a Silkie, I will get some silkie feathered chicks IF it has Silkie blood in it... correct? Because then it would have the Silkie gene.... but if NOT part Silkie... I would end up with ALL normal feathered birds... correct?

Back
Top Bottom