Help- What are my young hens doing in these pictures? **Updated**

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JackInCT, Sep 19, 2011.

1. JackInCT

JackInCT Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    CT
    My four hens are about twenty weeks old, not laying yet. Several times this past week I've seen them doing a strange new trick that I can't figure out. They'll lie in the mulch of a flower garden by the house, puff up their neck feathers, and lopsidedly stretch out one wing. They don't stay like that more than a few minutes- they keep sort of nuzzling each other's extended wing, causing the bird to stand up, take a couple steps, and lie back down to do it again, like they were taking turns.

At first I thought maybe it was a temperature regulation thing, but both days I've seen them do this it's not been hot or cold. I've only seen them do this in the one mulched garden, in the sun. Usually my hens stick to the shade.

To my inexperienced eye, it looks like they're nesting and shielding a flock of imaginary chicks under their wing. Perhaps someone who knows better could give me a more realistic answer for what on earth my hens are up to?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update: The consensus seems to be my feathered friends are taking a well-earned sunbath. Thanks so much for everyone's input!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  2. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    Getting a tan! [​IMG]

3. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Enjoying a sunny day!

4. maxxsmommy

maxxsmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    Minnesota
    laying out in the sun~ and if you see them getting all poofy and moving around while laying in the sun they are dust bathing [​IMG]

5. JackInCT

JackInCT Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    CT
    At first I thought they were dust-bathing, but they aren't! They lie perfectly still, which is weird because they're usually very energetic. I can see where they might be sun-bathing though...

6. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    they're chillin' ...

7. Spud Chicken

Spud Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Idaho
    My hens do it too, and some times they almost look dead.

8. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    They're soaking up some sun! Mine do it all the time [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yes, that's sun bathing behavior. Sometimes mine will be walking along like normal, encounter a nice sunny patch, and they just flop down right there, spreading out the wing as they roll slightly onto their sides.

Mmmmmmmmm, nice and warm!

10. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    My babies do that when they're taking a power nap. Beautiful girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by