Help, what breed am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Teriyaki, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Teriyaki

Teriyaki New Egg

Oct 13, 2012
    Hi,
    I'm new to chickens and recently got one that I'm trying to identify. The guy I bought it from could only tell me it layed brown eggs. I can't verify that because it hasn't layed any since I got it 2 weeks ago. She's very skittish and the other 2 chickens (RIR) that I got at the same time pick on her. I'm guessing she's a Welsummer or a Brown Leghorn or maybe even an Americauna...or could she be mixed. Anyone have a guess as to how old she may be and any advice as to what I could do to keep the other's from bullying her?

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She's an easter egger.

3. Teriyaki

Teriyaki New Egg

Oct 13, 2012
    Thanks! Any idea on how old you think she is? I'm wondering how long it will be before she starts laying for us.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This time of year she may not lay through the winter. Unless she was born in spring '12, she'll quite likely take the winter off unless you supplement light for her. I can' really help you with age, she's mature enough to lay and not old enough to look scruffy.

5. She's an Easter Egger. There's a link in my sig about the differences between EEs and Ameraucanas. :). As far as age she looks pretty young, but has been laying. Because of stress from the move she might not even lay until next Spring.

~~Ms.B :)

6. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Plus being in a new home causes stress and can stop/slow egg production.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by