help! what breed and gender are my chicks!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 5chick, Aug 19, 2013.

1. 5chick

5chick New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    We have 5 chickens. They are supposed to be rode island reds but they dont look the same as other rode island reds. They are about 4 1/2 monthes old. [​IMG]

2. 5chick

5chick New Egg

Aug 14, 2013

3. 5chick

5chick New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    This one is smaller and its comb and waddles are smaller and lighter than the others [​IMG]

4. I think they are Rhode Island Reds and hen!

5. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    First looks like a hen, second also does but there's a slight chance it could be a stealth rooster. Something about the feathers around the rump look a little rooster-ish but I can't zoom in far enough to see.

I don't know that much about identifying breeds but they look like some RIR's I've seen, not my favorite version of that breed (the darker the better for me) but they could also be Isabrown crosses. I don't know.

6. Animal lover342

Animal lover342 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    They look like isabrowns to me. The first one might be a rooster but the second one definetly looks like a hen to me.

7. 5chick

5chick New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    Thank yall! We are getting 3eggs every morning. The second one pictured is the onlyone that looks like that but the other 4 look like the first one pictured

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  8. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    They could be production reds, which were bred from Rhode Island Reds, or Red Sex Links, or a number of other hybrids.

True Rhode Island Reds should be a dark mahogany red.

Where did you get the chickens?

9. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    My production reds and red sex links look just like these

10. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Red sex links. You can see the white under feathers on all of them. Prolific layers of large brown eggs. Sold under a bunch of different marketing names.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by