HELP!! What breed and gender are these two youngsters?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dianneS, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I posted this previously trying to figure out what gender my supposed OEGB chicks are. Well, I'm finding out that they aren't even OEGBs, they have rose combs! [​IMG] (I wasn't sure if their combs were just coming in funny or what) I got them from a lady who got them as day-olds in an assorted straight run. They were too small for her pen, so she gave them to me and was sure that they were Old English. I assumed that she figured out their breed through process of elimination by referencing the possible breeds from the assortment list. I can't imagine that they'd be a cross breed coming from a hatchery. They are about 20 weeks.

I know that one is a little rooster, he is crowing. I thought the second was a hen, but now I'm not sure. I'm not even sure the breed anymore!! Help!! [​IMG] Any insight on the breed, genders and color would be greatly appreciated!

This one is a cockerel. What color and breed do you think he is?
    [​IMG]

The next two photos are the one I'm not sure the gender (or the breed!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:I don't know what breed they are, but hatchery birds are often poorly bred or cross breeds.

3. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    [​IMG] Aw crap. I was hoping they'd be pure breeds since she was so sure that they were. Oh well, I love them anyway, and the little cockerel is so cute when he tries to crow!

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Unless you planned on showing or breeding, it really doesn't matter. They are lovely. Look at the bright side. If you did want to breed or show, you have an excuse to get more.

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Both of them are cockerels and looks like mixed breeds. I doubt they came from a hatchery since they don't really have any characteristics of any rosecomb breeds that I've seen advertised by hatcheries. She may have hatched those herself and mixed them with the others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by