Help! What breed and gender is this chicken!?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by muskrat22, Jun 13, 2016.

1. muskrat22

muskrat22 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    [​IMG]

Hey, so I found a chicken,"Stevie", at one of my soccer matches. I have never had a chicken before, but I couldn't just leave the poor, scared, baby there. I took it home and put it in a rabbit hutch I had from a couple of years ago. I fed it cockatiel seed until I could get to the local seed and grain store, where they told me it was about 3 months old and recommended the food I now feed it. It now resides in a large outdoor dog kennel, with the hutch inside it. Roos aren't allowed in my city, so I'm hoping it's a she, but I have a great friend willing to take it in if it wasn't a girl, though it would break my heart to lose it. I've grown to love Stevie, and any help on the gender and breed would be amazing! Thanks!

2. muskrat22

Jun 13, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Here's a lemon for size comparison if that helps at all :/

3. MonicainAZ

MonicainAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    It's a bit hard to tell since you don't know how old s/he is, but my guess is Stevie Nicks, not Stevie Wonder :)

If you end up keeping her, you should get her some friends. Chickens are flock animals and they should have buddies. So glad you took her in!

Edit to add: the coloring is very typical of a female black sex link, which is a common breed (or, common mix of two breeds to be precise). If this is what she is, she should be a good egg layer!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Looks like some sort of game-type mix, and looks like a pullet somewhere around 3 to 5 months old. Get her some buddies ASAP. Chickens are flock animals are need other chickens.

5. muskrat22

Jun 13, 2016
    Thank you so much! I'm sure hoping she's a girl because I'm planning on buying some hens around her size tomorrow to keep her company! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by