HELP!! What breed is this???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ltsite6, Aug 19, 2016.

1. ltsite6

ltsite6 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2016
    Southern MD
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG]

Totally curious if anyone has any ideas. Rouens?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  2. ltsite6

Aug 11, 2016
    Southern MD
    [​IMG]

3. ltsite6

Aug 11, 2016
    Southern MD
    [​IMG]

4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Looks like my hen....I would say a Rouen .

5. ltsite6

Aug 11, 2016
    Southern MD
    Well he's definitely a drake, because of noise. And the other 4 I have, (hens) are way lighter and don't have as much purple/blue/green wings. Do they really go through that much change that he will become all grey black, with a green head? I mean the pics are definitely positively a drake. Thanks!

6. chickens really

I did not mean yours is a hen...The colouring is the same on the wing. Plus the brown. Looks like my Hen.
    Yes, he will get a very green head and be a very nice Drake once he gets all his mature feathers.

7. ltsite6

Aug 11, 2016
    Southern MD
    Oh man, I'm slightly disappointed because I have read that Rouen Ducks aren't the greatest layers. Mine are lean and no where near as big as the exhibitions. Maybe they will lay good! Hope so! Thank you for response!

8. chickens really

What were you told they are?
    My hen is way bigger than that....She is bigger than my Buff or my Welsh Drake....
    I could be wrong?, but the colours sure match.

9. ltsite6

Aug 11, 2016
    Southern MD
    That's the sad thing, I wasn't told got 5 brown younger ducklings. Maybe 5 or 6 weeks old. I listened to them for a long time and finally decided on what I thought to be 4 hens and a drake. Turned out my ear was good, and now they are probably 3 months old. Maybe 4 months old. And they are probably 4 or 5 pounds each. Yeah, the colors do. Thing is a few of my hens most definitely have a white ring around their neck and I thought that was only the drakes. I will probably posts more pics when they are fully mature.

10. chickens really

I am eating CROW today.....My HEN IS A DRAKE!
    Was a rescue hen with a sad story......The flock was killed by a fox in one night. 7 out of 15 survived...I took two hens....The rouen looked like a hen but has no voice due to its voice box being damaged...The other Pekin cross has a weird neck...Anyways...My HEN IS NOW A DRAKE....Mounting my hens and getting beat up by my Drakes....Still no tail curl but its colour had me wondering for a few weeks now....Found him a home...Good lord!!!
    I only saw what I wanted to see until it slapped me in the face!!!!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by