Help. What breed might this be??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bushman50, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Bushman50

Bushman50 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2012
    This is my Roo Blue. My wife loves him and he's the only rooster that's definitely not going in the freezer. The only problem is I don't have any idea what breed he might be. I got him during a bout of "chicken fever" as I like to call it. I went over board and was a victim of "Chicken Math". Long story short, the guy that sold me approximately 30 chicks assured me he had them sexed and I was free to pick and choose. I originally picked 5 roo's because he had them free ranged on his farm and didn't have a single squabble or squawk while we were there. I ended up having 14 Roosters!!!!!!! Can you imagine how rough its been on my poor hens. I have them in their permenant coop now with only this rooster.

(P.S.) I never intended on having that many Roo's, apparently [​IMG]

the seller isn't as good at sexing them as he thought!

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    He looks like a mix.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    He is probably a mix. He kind of reminds me of a blue copper marans, does he have any feathers on his feet? Do you have any idea what breeds the person you got him from had?

4. Bushman50

Bushman50 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2012
    Lets see if I can remember he had Australorps, Rhode Island Reds, Araucana's Cochins, Delaware's and a few other breeds i'm sure. Now that I think of it your probably right that he's a mix. This farm was completely free range and the only chickens in a closed coop were the elderly roosters that were in a kinda rooster retirement home! I have however seen a picture someone up here posted in a comment a while ago that had an almost identically colored rooster and that got me to wondering. I'm trying to decide if I want a Jersey giant,australorpe , deleware araucana , RIR Speckled Sussex or Cochin rooster to go in this flock with him and my 15 hens. I'm leaning towards the Jersey Giant but having difficulty telling them apart from my australorps because they both are black and I don't want to cull my giants thinking they are australorps .

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    A pure giant will have yellow feet bottoms, while australorps have pinkish white feet bottoms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by