HELP, what breed or crosses are these new girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by smallbluejellybean, Oct 16, 2014.

1. smallbluejellybean

smallbluejellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    I need some help, with what these breeds or X's these new girls are?
    I know the photo's aren't very good, as I only had a minute to snap some shots of them this morning before it started to rain.
    The orange/red one has 5 toes on each foot. I have never had a 5 toed chicken before and think it's cool.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    We'd need better pictures, but the last one might be a game bird or a light brown leghorn? There are hundreds of distinct chicken breeds, so unless we can see combs and full bodies and feet, it'll be almost impossible to make an identification. And with mixes, it gets even harder. [​IMG]

3. smallbluejellybean

smallbluejellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    I will have to get my son to take some new photo's with his camera. My mobile doesn't take very good shots.
    The two middle hens have no combs and I was told by a friend that the gamie looking one looked like a Welsummer x brown leghorn. I was told by the seller that the middle two are EE x Maran and the other one is a Pom Pom x RIR, but I am not absolutely sure if that is right, so was checking with you guys, as you have been spot on in the past.

4. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Pom Pom isn't a breed, so your friend might not be entirely right. [​IMG] There could be anything in there... Andalusian, Marans, Silkie, Polish, Appenzeller Spitzhauben.... they're just chickens, barnyard mixes, and they'll lay yummy, yummy eggs.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. cream puff

cream puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2014
    the orange one with the 5 toes and the long feathers on the head looks a little bit like a silkie to me. She's really cute.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The orange one looks like a Silkie/Production Red cross, probably. The black and white barred bird in the second photo may be a Barred Rock or Cuckoo Marans mix. The one on the left in the second photo looks like a mix (could be a Marans/Easter Egger mix like your friend said). the last bird is likely either a game bantam or a Light Brown Leghorn.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with those guesses.

8. topdog24

topdog24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    Jena Louisiana,

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The OP is in Kings Park Australia, There are breeds there and in the U.K. that are not in the U.S. and also they sometime have different names.

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The first bird looks like a Polish or a Polish Crested crossed with a Rhode Island Red, The second two look like random crosses, the last hen looks like a Light Brown Leghorn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by