Help! What breeds are these

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ccabal, Aug 7, 2013.

1. ccabal

ccabal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    I got these when they were a few days old , but don't remember what breeds they were. Any guesses?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  2. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    What chickens.[​IMG]

3. ccabal

Aug 1, 2013
    Also, why do all my pictures post up looking rotated? They are fine on my computer!

What's distinctive about the white hen is that her feet are blueish-gray. (the red hen's are yellow) and that she has these fluffy feathers on her cheeks. Its almost like she's having a "bad hair day" and those feathers on her face wont lay down.

I am leaning towards the red one being a Rhode Island Red. what do you all think?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  4. chickenboy190

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    I'm thinking ISA Brown and maybe arucana for the white one.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    The white is probably an Easter Egger / Ameraucana (most hatcheries sell EEs as Ameraucanas), the other two could be some type of red production girls, the dark one does look a lot like a RIR, usually the Isa Browns / Red Stars we see around here have white in the tails, but that really depends on the hatcheries individual mix they use for the sex links.

6. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    ^^My red sex links have white tails

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    hatchery Red (rhode Island red/production red/cherry egger) and easter egger pullet. That white one should lay you pretty green or blue eggs.

8. ccabal

Aug 1, 2013
    Thanks!
    About it being a ISA brown, I looked them up on Google, and most of the pictures I saw , the hens had white tails. Mine has rather short tail feathers, and no white at all. So I think it is probably what "doerae" said.

What is most distinctive feature of "easter eggers"? Is it the "beard" of feather, or is it the bluish legs?
    The reason I ask, is that I also have an Americauna hen, and she also has blue legs, but she doesn't have a beard at all.
    [​IMG]

9. chickenboy190

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Your welcome,about your Americauna hen I have 4 EE's and one of them douse not have a beard so not all of them have to have beards just different types of genes.Good luck with your chickens I always don't know best.[​IMG]

10. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    ^^^^ That is an Easter Egger too. EE's are mutt chickens who have the blue egg gene. They've been crossed with Ameraucanas or Araucanas.
    Ameraucanas only come in 8 recognised colours according to the standard of perfection (SOP).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by