HELP!!!!! What can I do about my spoiled hens????? BIG PROBLEM!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SouthernLady, May 26, 2009.

1. SouthernLady

SouthernLady Songster

Sep 7, 2008
    Mississippi
    First let me give you some background information. I've got two hens that are about a little over a year old. Last summer we also got a little half grown rooster. Hubby fiixed a place in the barn for them which also included a yard for them. A short while later, we got two full grown hens and everything seemed fine. I worried about them a lot when we first put them in the barn (the first hens and the rooster had stayed in the backyard until they were moved there), but we got through the winter fine and although I hope that their area was predator proof. I was wrong. [​IMG]

Several months ago, one of the newer hens disappeared and we found feathers outside the pen. She had gotten out before, so I hoped that is what happened again, and nothing got in and got her. A month or so after that, I found our rooster dead in the pen, and the next day the other newer hen. I wasn't about to let that happen to my two babies that I've had for so long, so to the backyard they came. They don't have a place to roost, but when they were in the backyard before, they roosted in the doghouse, and still will (either in it or on top of it).

The week after Easter, we got 3 3 week old babies. I kept them inside in a large box. They stay out now during the day (in the backyard), but still come in at night.

Here's where the problem comes in. My older two babies stayed inside at night when they were babies too. It's funny how it's been a year, but they haven't forgotten. They still want in the house! About a week ago, it was raining at night and I felt sorry for one, because she wouldn't go in the doghouse with her sister and stay dry. So, I let her in the house and put her in the box with the babies. This weekend, we had lots of rain, so I brought all of them in and put them in the box.

So now I've got some spoiled hens and I don't know how to despoil them! Everytime the doors open, they come running to get in the house. They also stand at the french doors to the patio, and peck on the windows begging to be let in. I can deal with it, but I'm afraid hubby is going to get really annoyed with them and put them all (babies too) in the barn. I just can't bear the thought of anything happening to them! (For the record, hubby set a live trap in the chicken pen and caught a large raccoon, but I'm afraid there are others.)

So what can I do to despoil my girls????? Or is it too late???? I'm sooooooo frustrated!!!!

(One's pecking on the door right now!)

I'm losing my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. TXmom

TXmom Songster

I think chickens are animals of habit. They want to sleep in the same place every night...so you need to decide where you want them to sleep. You can build a small coop, or if you want them in the doghouse, then you need to put them in there each night. If they're roosting on top of the doghouse or in a bush or something, just pick them up and put them in the doghouse. They'll get used to being in there and go there by themselves pretty soon.

As for pecking at the door...well I'm not sure...mine like to come up to the door too. If you give into them and let them come in or give them treats, then you're training them to do that. If you ignore them when they peck at the door, or shoo them away, maybe they'll learn to not do that.

Good luck!

3. arlee453

arlee453 Songster

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    what TXmom said - to break them of the habit you'll have to pen them up wherever you want them to roost/sleep for around a week until they get used to sleeping in that spot.

That's what i'd do...

Good luck and enjoy your new babies too!

4. ROC4K

ROC4K Songster

Oct 21, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Ya gotta just say no....and good advice already given above.

5. SouthernLady

SouthernLady Songster

Sep 7, 2008
    Mississippi
    Thanks ya'll so much. I guess I just feel sorry for them. But I'll be tougher. [​IMG]

6. minifarmgurl1

minifarmgurl1 Songster

Apr 24, 2009
    indiana
    roflmao![​IMG][​IMG] im sorry im not laughing at you to be mean..im laughing at the pecking at the door while you are typing..thats soo funny! animals are defitnitly animals of habit..I have a young goat and she is like in love with us or something..shes constanly getting out and running up here to the house on the deck and jumping on my windows screaming for me..i am surprised she hasent broke the glass yet..sometimes she drives me soo crazy i cant stand it! LOL she head butts the glass screen door soo hard too! I feel for you but i agree with the others you def. have to get yourself and your hens into a routine fast for saftey reasons. I develop bad habits with my animals alot but usually its for ME not them..im the one who likes to let them run around but..i get to a point where i relize its really not safe and i have to make it safe for them. I believe no matter where my animals are if i keep pens clean, give food / water and spend time with them in there they will adjust and be happy. good luck!

7. SouthernLady

SouthernLady Songster

Sep 7, 2008
    Mississippi
    Oh I think it's funny as heck too. I guess I've spoiled them a little because I'm afraid they've been tramatized by seeing their friends get killed. Right now only one of them is sitting at the door and she's grooming herself.

8. minifarmgurl1

minifarmgurl1 Songster

Apr 24, 2009
    indiana
    AHHH THE THINGS WE LET OURSELVES PUT UP WITH TO HAVE ANIMALS!! LOL sometimes that goat drives me soo crazy i say im gonna sell her but then when i go outside and work in the yard she'll come lye down by me and nuzzle at my legs and i think aww soo sweet...or she will do something funny...how could I I think!! hahahaha now whos the crazy one?? i heard a saying one that said something like this.....(KEEP IN MIND I ALSO HAVE A HORSE)

.......... WHY DO WE CHERISH THE HORSE THAT TRIES TO KILL US DAILY, BUT YELL AT THE MAN WHO LEAVES THE TOLIET LID UP.......

i put up with more CRAP from my animals than i let my 3 boys and hubby get away with!!! I wonder if they notice that?/

Last edited: May 26, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: