HELP!! What do I do if I don't know what day the eggs are on?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by heby, Jan 12, 2014.

1. heby

heby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    We recently found one of my hens that has been "missing" for between 1-2 wks. She has decided to sit on a clutch of eggs that her and some of the other hens have been collecting. We noticed that she was up off nest and roaming around today so my son went under the building to count the eggs. He counted 14!! Due to an old injury, my main rooster has not really been in the mating business. He mainly just crows and roams. I do have an young studly roo that has been making himself known as a ladies man. I have seen him mate with my black hens and we have a recent group of buffs that he has taken a strong liking to. However I haven't seen him mess with the game hens as much. They are faithful layers and go broody often but don't like mating so they are fast.

Anyways..... Getting to the point..... I took 3 eggs from the nest to run in and candle them to see if she was even going to have any hatch. There are veins in all 3!! In the brown egg, I see a mass and veins and in the 2 pale eggs (which look very much like my game hens eggs) I seen veins and actual movement!! It's sooo exciting. [​IMG] It was the first time I've ever seen that. Well... when I went to put eggs back, the hen was running back to the nest and beat me. :( Luckily I had the incubator nice and warm so I was able to stick the eggs in there.

Finally to my question: Usually I can calculate when one of the hens goes broody but since I didn't notice what day she was gone, I have no idea what day the eggs are on so if I kept them in the bator, how would I be able to figure out lockdown day? I would really love to keep them inside so we could watch them hatch out. But I want to do what's best for the chick as well. [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've never incubated or candled eggs, so take what I say with a grain of salt [​IMG] I have been doing a lot of research lately, in prep of a possible breeding project this spring.

I've seen pics of how the air sac changes as the incubation progresses, is it possible for you to compare the sac in your eggs to photos on this site? That wouldn't give you to the day, but it could give you a better idea.
    I don't know if it's possible to calculate a hatch date off the weight of the egg, either, but that could be another way. Eggs are supposed to lose ~15% of their weight before hatching, so if you got an average weight of another hen's unincubated egg (hen of the same breed, with similar size egg), the weight of your partially incubated egg, and figured what % of weight your egg has lost, that could also give you a little better window than what you've got now.

Looking forward to seeing what others say!

3. heby

heby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    I am very new at this process and candling but I will try to candle them again this evening and mark on the egg where the air sac is so I can compare and keep track. Since I could see quite a bit in there, I dnt think there are much over a week. But Im pretty sure shes been sitting more than a week. It is possible tht there may have been another or so egg snuck in the nest by another hen or 2 cause they all love going under of tht building.

Mayb someone with more experience will have some ideas to help u both out :eek:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by