1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Help, What do I do with my banty? - Lost her today

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cejunes, Aug 20, 2010.

1. cejunes

cejunes Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    Post Falls, ID
    One of my bantams is sitting on a pile of rocks (Not sure how they even got there) like they are eggs. Here's the catch though, she hasn't even laid her first egg yet. If i try to move her, she pecks at me and goes right back there. I thought she was sitting there to lay me her first egg but still nothing so far. She's been there since yesterday. Any suggestions? Should I just leave her alone or should I keep moving her back out with the rest of the flock?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010

2. cejunes

cejunes Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    Post Falls, ID
    anyone?

3. bantiesrule

bantiesrule Songster

Dec 1, 2008
    Long Prairie, MN
    My own opinion is if she hasn't even layed an egg yet chances are she wouldn't set for three weeks But if you have eggs that you don't care hatch or not, put them under her, she might surprise you. I had a little serama hen that only laid 5 eggs and then went broody. She ended up being a very good mama. You just never know about banties.

4. cejunes

cejunes Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    Post Falls, ID
    Okay, I rearranged the chicken coop and this was enough to get her up and back out with all of the hens. While I was out there, she "pooped" what looked like nothing but egg white - no yolk, no shell. Immediately all of the other hens ate it. Would this technically be her "first egg" or is something wrong with her?

5. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Songster

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    One of my hens did the whole poop thing, exactly like you said, looked like egg white. She laid her first egg two days later. I don't really know what that was all about, but my flock is healthy, and has continued to be healthy, so....

6. cejunes

cejunes Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    Post Falls, ID
    I'm sorry to report, I lost this little bantam today. It turns out she was severely egg bound and had a film that wouldn't break around her vent prohibiting the egg to exit. Sad day. Has anyone ever heard of this before? I haven't had that problem with any of my other hens. Her sister just gave me her first egg two days ago and seems to be doing fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by