HELP! What do I do with shipped eggs that have yolk all over them?

lcammack

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 15, 2011
Okay sorry to yell HELP, but I don't know what I should do. I received 19 shipped eggs, 7 were broken, and there is yolk every where. I wiped them off, best I could. Should I wash them? Or leave them alone? I don't know if they will incubate well with a coating of yolk on the outside. Any suggestions?

Thank you for the link, it was very informative. Sorry to hear about your eggs, it is such a bummer to wait and be disappointed. Good luck with yours.

I did wipe off the yolk with a paper towel, but it was still very liquid and I'm concerned that I just coated them with it and did not take it off. If that makes sense.

Any one ever used Oxine to clean eggs?

edit: spelling

Last edited:
Everson, WA is about 15 mins from the Canadian border, West of Mt. Baker. I am from Bellingham, WA, and my parents live in Everson. Nice to have you two "locals" reply...

Last edited:
Small world!

I'm from Seattle originally, but love it here. Close enough for city fun and rural enough that I can raise my own food.

luckily my one shipment of eggs only had 3 broken and no others spooged on. The second batch looks to be held up at the sorting facility. So no idea what shape it's in.

keep us posted on the progress of your yolky ones. Hopefully they are tough little survivors!

Well I decided to go ahead and give them a quick rinse. Made sure the water was 95 ish and did the one plain warm water sink and then one warm water with Oxine dilution. They came clean very quickly, so time in water was minimal. Dried them on a paper towel and have them resting large side up in an egg carton on the counter. We did candle them and its not looking very good. Every air cell detached and a few looked scrambled :(. It will be about 18 hrs of rest when we put them in tomorrow morning. We won't turn on the turner for a few days. I guess that is all I can do at this point. Watch for weepy ones, and candle at day 7 very carefully. I have a feeling we will have huge losses with these ones. Luckily the other shipment we had come in today looks much better. Only one with a crack (we sealed it and will see how it does).

I will update in about a week.

Thank you both for your suggestions.

Good luck!

I'll peek at mine tonight for scrambles.
I had 12 of 16 shipped eggs make it to lockdown my first hatch, but only 6 of those ended up hatching. They came from Tennessee though, so not too bad for such a long trip.

Well we put them in the incubator this morning. We have every finger and toe crossed, but I have prepared my two daughters not to expect anything to hatch. At least that way if a couple do make it, it will be a nice surprise.

We would love to be able to have some roosters so that we had our own fertile eggs to hatch, but even though we have 4 acres we got annexed into the city limits two years ago, so no roosters for us :(

I hope your eggs are okay. Keep us updated...

Back
Top Bottom