Help! What Gender and Breed are my chickens?

Babydoll04

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 22, 2014
Hello all,

I need help determining if my pullet is really a rooster. When I got them in April, they all were suppose to be females, but one turned out to be a rooster. They are now 15 and 16 weeks old and other than the rooster, I think two more have started crowing. I am not entirely sure what breed they are, but I have been reseaching and I think 3 are Production Reds, 2 Barred Rock mix, and Jersey Giant.

The one give me the most trouble is Jackie (16 weeks) PR in the second picture. She/he crows more than the one we know is a rooster and now, very aggressive. The second one is named Flo (15 weeks) She/he is the BR standing in front on the right and just started crowing this past wekend and sounds like he/she is trying to hard to crow majority of the time. Jackie has been crowing for two week or more and sounds just them as the BR. I wanted all egg layers and the rooster was a big surprise, but we decided to him. Now the possibility of having three roosters is getting annoying and may have to go. Any help with determining their gender and breed is greatly appreciated.

That's a boy! Look at that proud stance! A good way to tell at this age is looking for a long green sheen on the tail feathers.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

I think you only have one pullet in that first pic.

left to right

cockerel. can't see well enough to id breed for sure, but I'd hazard it's a partridge something.
hatchery RIR or production red cockerel
the barred bird facing away--most likely a cockerel. mixed breed or black sex link (mixed breed with a name
wink.png
)
pullet--the black bird in the back. Can't see well enough to id breed.
cockerel, mixed breed.

If you want better ID on the birds, post profile pics of them, including legs and combs. Also, where they came from, hatchery or breeder.

:welcome

I think you only have one pullet in that first pic.

left to right

cockerel. can't see well enough to id breed for sure, but I'd hazard it's a partridge something.
hatchery RIR or production red cockerel
the barred bird facing away--most likely a cockerel. mixed breed or black sex link (mixed breed with a name ;) )
pullet--the black bird in the back. Can't see well enough to id breed.
cockerel, mixed breed.

If you want better ID on the birds, post profile pics of them, including legs and combs. Also, where they came from, hatchery or breeder.

I also see only one pullet, the black one in the back on the right. The rest are cockerels!

Back
Top Bottom