HELP! What gender are these? Pictres attached of each.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by farm-gal91, Dec 9, 2012.

1. farm-gal91

farm-gal91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2012
    Here are the chickens that I am not sure of the sex. I have an idea on each but I am not sure. I have never delt with theses breeds either. The two light gray are Orpingtons and the two splash are Wyandotte's. I am not sure what the little solid dark one is. Possibly another wyandotte. All of the chickens in the pictures I am unusre of. Some are on here twice, just a better view of some. Any suggestions on the genders would help! At what age should I really start to tell a difference? I just wanted to give them a second chance, even though I may be over run with roosters now![​IMG] All chickens are between 9-10 weeks of age.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#4 (both roosters?)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  2. 2seth2

2seth2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    Reno,NV
    ages?

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    6 and 2 look like the only pullets but without ages its hard to say

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm going to say all roosters pending ages.

5. farm-gal91

Sep 28, 2012
    Oh sorry forgot to add that. They are between 9- 10 weeks old.

6. farm-gal91

Sep 28, 2012
    They were together when I got them and they seem attached to each other. They all cram into one nest box and sleep together. It was either meat birds or a home with a girl who will not use them for meat! Whichever ones seem to be roosters will find homes eventually. Keep the opinions coming

7. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Oh, at that age they're all boys, all the way.

8. farm-gal91

Sep 28, 2012
    Any tips on how you can decide? I give up. I have a golden seabright who has a HUGE comb and looks like a rooster but she lays and is a hen. I also have a Rhode Island Red that everyone swears is a rooster. She lays and does not crow, she's a hen. Can some just look like roosters? I've never had to sex a chicken, always just asked for hens and thats what I got. I guess I need a few pointers, tips.

9. farm-gal91

Sep 28, 2012
    Also, shouldn't try be crowing? Seems like all of my roosters ( only had 3 ) started crowing at 6 weeks.

10. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    When you're looking at comb size, the thing to keep in mind is age. That's why we always ask how old the bird is. Yes, a mature, fertile hen will have a nice large comb and wattles, it's an indicator of fertility for the rooster. But at this age, no hen has that much comb/wattles, esp with that much red color. You can't compare mature birds with babies. Crowing happens when they're ready and can vary quite a bit. Older roosters can also inhibit younger birds from crowing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by