Help! What gender is this Buff Brahma? Orpington pullets with small amount of black on tail feathers

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Farm4Suncee, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Farm4Suncee

Farm4Suncee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2013
    [​IMG] Buff Brahma 16 weeks old

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Buff Orpington tail feathers.

Here it is Christmas morning and what do we wake up to? A rooster crow! I thought for a minute was that the neighbors chicken?...oh wait, we're the only ones around here who have chickens...great. We've been out this morning looking over our flock and we think it may be our Standard Buff Brahma, whom we love [​IMG] She/he is 16 weeks old. I didn't want to freak out while they were little as to whether they were male or female and thought I'd just wait and see.. I mean hear. I'm a newbie and learning as I go.

I have two Buff Orpingtons that have a tiny amount of black coloring on their tail feathers but their bodies look like hens, is this coloring normal for pullets or could they too be roos?

Thanks a bunch!

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    The buff Brahma is roo

3. X2

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your Brahma is a rooster.

The black in the tail feathers on your buff Orpingtons doesn't have anything to do with gender, it's called smuttiness, it's just a not desirable trait in the buff coloring, common in hatchery birds.

Merry Christmas!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey

6. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree, he is definitely a rooster from the saddle feathers and comb/wattles.

7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    The buff brahma is a cockerel

8. Farm4Suncee

Farm4Suncee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2013
    Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. We were pretty sure you'd all say she would be a he. We're so sad as he is our favorite one, is so very gentle and loves to be held and he just loves my 14 yo son. I'm so happy to hear that the Orpington hens are hens : ) I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by