Help, What has my chicken pooped?

Natsip

Hatching
Mar 5, 2022
Hi all, we have 5 backyard Brown chickens. My husband discovered this weird meaty thing in their laying box today.
The chickens all appear ok... We don't know who did it.

What on earth is it and do we need to worry about one of the ladies?

Thank you

PS. My husband poked around at it a bit

Attachments

• IMG_20220305_110016_853.jpg
    IMG_20220305_110016_853.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 4
Hi all, we have 5 backyard Brown chickens. My husband discovered this weird meaty thing in their laying box today.
The chickens all appear ok... We don't know who did it.

What on earth is it and do we need to worry about one of the ladies?

Thank you

PS. My husband poked around at it a bit
It's a lash egg. It is the result of salpingitis in the hen that laid it. It is tissue expelled from the oviduct that resulted from the infection.
If all members of the flock are behaving normally, don't worry about it. If you have one that is lethargic at all, I would start her on a course of antibiotics. I use 250mg of fishmox 2 or 3 times a day (depending on the size of the hen) for a week for things like this.

It's a lash egg. It is the result of salpingitis in the hen that laid it. It is tissue expelled from the oviduct that resulted from the infection.
If all members of the flock are behaving normally, don't worry about it. If you have one that is lethargic at all, I would start her on a course of antibiotics. I use 250mg of fishmox 2 or 3 times a day (depending on the size of the hen) for a week for things like this.
Thank you so much. Poor chicken. We'll be watching them closely.

Another question... Could the infected chicken transfer Bactria to humans? Or does it stay with the sick chicken?

Just sharing my experience -- I had a duck lay a lash egg last summer. She was quite ill but recovered after a round of antibiotics (I believe it was amoxicillin or similar), meloxicam (pain reliever) and re-hydration at the vet. She started acting ill prior to laying the egg -- we thought she was egg bound, and she did start recovering once she laid the eggs and the antibiotics kicked in. It was VERY touch and go for a while, but she is totally fine now.

Back
Top Bottom