1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! What is coming out of my chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lgetskow, Sep 27, 2016.

1. lgetskow

lgetskow New Egg

Sep 27, 2016
    I'm excited to have chickebs again, however when I let the girls out of the coop this morning I noticed something coming out of my hens backside. It looks like a soft shelled egg?? Does anyone know what this is, or how to fix it? Is this contagious/fatal? [​IMG][/IMG]Thank you so much!!

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

It does appear to be a soft shelled egg...Young pullets just starting to lay will do this...Are you providing oyster shell? Also what are you feeding them?

3. lgetskow

lgetskow New Egg

Sep 27, 2016
    I just got her yesterday. She was a two year old Black Copper Maran. I drop off my daughter at school, then came home to find her dead [​IMG]

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh, that STINKS!! I'm so sorry.

I thought that looked like more than a softshelled egg.

Not sure where you got her, but I'd be asking for a refund or replacement.

5. lgetskow

lgetskow New Egg

Sep 27, 2016
    I sent the pics to the seller & she offered a refund or replacement. She is out of the Black Copper Marans, which is the breed that died, so I opted for a Welsummer. The rest of the chickens I bought from her are doing great!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by